From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 00:51:24 -0400
About biting in ferrets,  from my experieinces there does seem to be a
hereditary nature to some degree.  I have some kits that had a wilder
than average daddy (sire).  These babies are nippier than my kits from
gentler sires.  Some are absolutely sweethearts like their daddies.  Hobs
in general seem to be the nicest (to people) but a sprite (neutered
female) or a gib (neutered male) can be also wonderful.  Jills can be the
least kind when their hormones are raging (in season or nursing seem to
be the worst).  All ferrets seem to be conditioned to be gentler though
the better they start the better they end up.  The younger you start
'breaking' them of nipping habits the better as well.  I have some nice
kits but we aren't exactly down the street from the NYC area (Prince
William county in Northern Virginia) and most of the other breeeders I
know are also in this area or out towards Ohio.

Once my hobs get to know me they are no problem but the jills that were
older than a year when I got them have caused some problems.  Nipping
from kits (like those in the pet store) is not always the sign of
trouble.  Kits go through chewing phases just like puppies and human
babies.  It doesn't take much to convince a good kit that chewing isn't
allowed.  I've used the nose tap but I try to limit to EXTREME problem
behavior not a simple playful nip.  Vocal repremands and fairly gentle
physical rebukes are usually sufficient.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets