From:
Deborah Micklea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 18:33:18 -0400
We keep our four ferrets in a *very* big cage (2ftx4ftx5ft) when we aren't
around to supervise their play (I just worry too much about them to leave
them out all the time), so when we had to go out of town overnight on a
business trip I didn't think it would be any big deal to leave them there.
I made sure their water bottles were full and they had plenty of food, so
everything would be okay, huh?

Well, of course the first thing I did when I got home this evening was rush
in to see my babies.  Tygger, Tassie, Pongo.......WHERE'S POOH?????  I of
course became frantic immediately, calling out for her and looking all over.
(our entire apartment is not ferret proofed, just their room.) I started to
imagine Pooh whizzing back and forth in the living room blinds while we were
gone, and the slightly crazy lady across the courtyard calling the
exterminator to take care of the "rats" in my building-after all, I don't
publicize I have ferrets, once she claimed my dog was having a fit in the
window while I was gone (my dog was *with* me!) and she does believe that
sparks shoot out of the outlets and dance on the walls of her apartment!
Finally, almost in tears, who do I see sticking her little cinnamon head our
of the towels in the travel carrier but my Pooh Bear.  WHEW!

So far she seems okay.  Lord only knows what adventures she had while we were
gone (although I sure she probably ran back and forth in front of the cage
taunting the other three, who aren't as good at escaping as she is!) and we
found it was a loose latch on the cage that caused her to escape.  She had
access to food both in the carrier and some that had been kicked out of the
big cage, but not to water.  While she has eaten since we've gotten home, she
still hasn't had anything to drink.  When should I worry?  Although she
shivered for awhile, she is playing/acting normally otherwise.

LESSON LEARNED:  Even if all the babies are in the cage, check to make sure
there is FOOD AND WATER someplace outside the cage that they can get to.
 I'll never leave home without doing that again!

Someone asked where Path Valley is:  Dry Run, Penn.

Until next time:

Deborah, Tygger, Tassie, Pooh and Pongo