From:
"~*Jules*~" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:47:25 -0400
Hey All, it's Jules and her fuzzies again!  I've got a bunch of mostly
unrelated (tho I've sorted them into categories) questions for anybody
who can answer one or more!  So..  here we go!

Vet Care
1. Okay, I need to get my fuzzies vaccinated soon, they will both need:
1 rabies, and 2 distemper boosters.  I've heard that you should not get
all the shots at the same time (I realize that the distempers need to be
at different times), but if I had to do it that way that's 3 seperate
trips to the vet.  I cannot drive yet, and the vets that I would be able
to go to are 30 or more minutes away, and that is a lot of driving for my
father who doesn't like the ferrets and isn't big on going the distance
for animals (they're just pets he says... when talking to him about how i
need to save money for emergency surgery or vet care..  and he's not
paying for it..  there's other things to spend money on *rolls eyes*)...
so..  is it okay to get a rabies and distemper shot at the same time?  Or
is it too dangerous?

2. What should i take to the vet?  (other than a list of questions I
want to ask, the name of the vaccinations I want to use, etc. etc.)
Should I take a stool sample?

3. Should I let them eat & drink normally before the appointment?  (my
guess is yes but I'm just checking)

Ferret Proofing
4. Okay, so I have base board heaters.  My romeo, decided they're great
tunnels and likes to snorkle in them (making me cringe at the screeching
sound..and run to pull him out)..  while this isn't a problem during the
summer, I am worried about the winter..  I THINK he has grown out of it
(aka can't fit anymore)..  but I am not positive.  I think this because
he has not done it in atleast 2 or 3 weeks.  But ..  if there is any
doubt by the time we turn the heat on..  I will need to do something to
prevent him from getting in!  I don't want a toasted fuzzbutt!  I cannot
block them, because that will prevent my room from being heated, and I
cannot attach screen to them because plastic will melt and metal will
heat up also.  Any ideas?

Toxic or Not?
5. Okay, so after buying a new cage for my fuzzies... (lol they have
a marshal mansion all to themselves... lucky buggers.  but they still
sleep on the floor!!!)..  I need to sell my old one (super pet kingdom),
in some places, the white paint(?) has worn off the wire sides.  I was
considering spray painting those parts white again.  Would this be
damaging to future occupants?  As in the spray paint would somehow affect
their health.  If so, I shall not do it, but if not, it would make the
cage look much better.

Toys
6. Does anyone know where to get clear tubing other than the marshalls
thing?  as in kinda bulk ... etc. a manufacture maybe or something?  I
couldn't find any at home depot so I broke down and bought the thing off
of The Ferret Store, but if I were to make other things for my ferrets or
to sell involving tubing, I wouldn't be able to use that (copy rights..
no resale kinda thing..  plus the price)

Light
7. Okay, here's a werid question I bet no one's heard... Do strobe
lights or police type lights have any ill effects on ferrets?  I got one
of each for my room..  I don't have them on much, and I have not seen the
ferrets act weird when they're on.  Infact it's quite enjoyable to play
with them and watch them wardance with the strobe on!  (talk about cool
looking)..  but I was just wondering if it would be bad for them.  (It
wouldn't be on for extendend periods of time)...

Food
8. Any tips on how to get my fuzzies to try raw foods?  (egg, chicken,
beef, mice, etc.)..  Julliet LOVES crickets..  but that's about as good
as it gets..

Oh, and for the person who's setting up the lost ferret website.  If
you could contact me when your looking for a writer or someone to do
graphics.  I would love to help with anything I can (I wasn't sure if
I should e-mail cause of some time limit thing or it not being ready
yet?)..  but yes..  I would love to help!!

Okay, well I think that's it for now!
- Jules
+ Romeo & Julliet