Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 22:34:49 -0800
For years Sukie (not a vet) Crandall, moderator of the Ferret Health
List, has talked about the work done by veterinary pathologist Matti
Kiupel. Obtaining his undergraduate and DVM degrees at Humboldt
University in Berlin, Germany, his *V.M.D.* from the University of
Pennsylvania and his MVSc and Ph.D. in Veterinary Pathology from
Purdue, Dr. Kiupel is indeed a global personality. In 2000, he became
a *Diplomate of the *American College of Veterinary Pathologists.

"He and his fellow scholars have begun the only ferret specific section
of a veterinary program in the United States, and hopes that eventually
there will be enough large donations to make it permanent, which would
be one of the best things that could possibly happen for ferrets
world-wide. The people there have helped ferrets and their people from
all over the world when specimens have been sent for their expert
investigation and can do some types of work simply not available
elsewhere for ferrets," according to Crandall. And, indeed they have.

Section Chief of Anatomical Pathology, Head of the Histology and
Immunohistochemistry Laboratory, Diagnostic Center for Population and
Animal Health, Dr. Kiupel has "extensive experience in tumor pathology
and viral pathogenesis. He has a special interest in ferret health and
has been on the forefront of the discovery of a number of recently
recognized ferret diseases. Over the last years he has worked on ferret
adrenal carcinomas, disseminated idiopathic myofascitis, Aleutian
disease and ferret enteric diseases, especially ferret coronaviruses,
rotaviruses and enteric coccidiosis."

You may not be able to use this vet to care for your ferrets directly,
but every time you benefit from the research his team conducts, he is
caring for them. "Think of major illnesses among ferrets and for many
you will find that he and his colleagues at Ferret Health Advancement
at Michigan State ( http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/) are there trying
to make a difference. They even make health resources readily available
for veterinarians and ferret people," said Crandall.

What is it that makes Dr. Kiupel's heart beat a bit faster? "I am
interested in the areas of diagnostics, research and teaching regarding
diseases of domestic, zoo and wildlife mammalian species. My research
interests are specifically concerned with the pathogenesis of
infectious diseases, especially zoonotic and emerging diseases and
neoplastic diseases of domestic species and animal models of human
neoplastic conditions."

He "is unusually modest, but very warm, and truly cares for animals,
especially ferrets. He readily collaborates comfortably with people
from around the globe to get needed work done, and appreciates them
and their work greatly. He's a man with a big heart," Crandall said.
And this June we will get the opportunity to see for ourselves what
a wonderful man he is and learn from the master.

To contact this veterinarian:
Matti Kiupel, PhD, DACV

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we