From:
"A.Maunder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 21:11:03 -0230
Hi Fellow Ferret Fanciers!

Did I miss a post... I'm wondering if Mo' Maggie has posted White Fang's
new name.

ERIKA posted about trying to find a HARNESS FOR SMALL FERRET.  I have
ordered (and not yet received) a figure-8 harness for Oliver.  From the
description, I believe it to be like one I saw on a ferret recently - it was
all one piece and worked by the two loops (one around the neck and the other
under the arms) being "joined" together through a ring between the shoulder
blades.  Thus, the harness is completely adjustable.  It's a great way to
teach a ferret to "heel" better and respond better when on a leash.  Also
impossible to get out of... the harder he pulls, the snugger it gets -
without choking him.  I ordered it from <[log in to unmask]>  They come
in tons of colours and are under $10 U.S. as I recall.

TO DENNIS GENTRY: I tried to e-mail you a sample Pine Marten letter but the
mail was returned to me - twice.  Reason was "unrecoverable error".  If
you'd like me to try again, please send me your e-mail address again...
maybe I got it wrong.

BIG: Thanks so much for letting my Pine Marten post go through.  I was so
high up on my soapbox when I posted that it never even occurred to me that
such a post might be considered taboo.  I'm glad you felt Pine Martens
(being musetlids) are close enough to our fuzzies to be FML-topical.  Again,
sincere thanks!

NEW YORK A FERRET-FREE ZONE?????  Someone posted recently that they thought
New York City was a ferret free zone.  I'm currently looking into attending
a school in Hyde Park (spelling?), New York.  The program would take two
years, so of course Oliver is coming with me.  Is this going to be a
problem?  I understood that the FML came out of New York, so I'm rather
confused.

DEAR BLANCA Martinez: I always find it so difficult to read posts about
little fuzzies who have gone over the Rainbow Bridge.  Tears every time.
When I read of your little Ollie's passing, it really hit home for me -
since my baby is Oliver (Ollie) for short, too.  Please know that I'm
thinking about you.

Dooks to all,  Andrea Maunder
Kisses & Nosenibbles from Oliver: "I'm so excited!  My Uncle David is
staying with us for a while.  He LOVES to play with me and his skin is so
much tougher than Mom's!  Slurp!"

[Moderator's note: Yes, the FML comes out of New York City, though there's
nothing illegal about *talking* about ferrets, I suppose.  Ferrets have a
fuzzy (pun?) legal status in NYC - a health department administrative ruling
considers ferrets to be "wild animals" -- and wild animals are prohibited in
the city.  Just last week or so the city was trying to prosecute someone
else for housing yet another wild animal -- a goat being boarded at a horse
stable.  So obviously the health department will spare no expense when it
comes to protecting the citizens of New York from vicious beats.

On the other hand, unless there is a bite incident or a complaint from
someone politically important, "authorities" care little about ferrets.  You
can see ferrets playing in the park, there are even some ferret events, and
the Animal Medical Center - right in the heart of the city - has a steady
stream of ferret patients (and some darned good ferret-hip vets).

OK, I have heard of police issuing tickets and there have been a couple of
confiscations, nor are ferrets sold in pet shops in NYC, so draw your own
conclusions.  But in my opinion, you'd be more likely to be attacked by a
wild goat than your ferret confiscated.  Of course, I'd rather be attacked
by the goat tho :-(

Speaking of NYC - hmmm... Paw Paw... Dr. Williams... what was that about the
Atlanta Braves?  ;-)   BIG]