From:
"Margaret Zick (and Stan, Ollie and Jezebel)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 13:56:36 -0400
Well, since everyone is talking about what to do when you loose a ferret, I
thought I'd send this in.  Jimi Hummel, the operator of "For The Love of
Ferrets" shelter here in Houston, has a handout on what to do if your fuzzy
pulls a hodini on you.  All typos belong to me.  ;)

1.) Before your pet is missing, teach them to come to you.  Teach them to
respond to their name, a whistle, or some sound.  Many ferrets will respond
to a squeaky toy.

Put a collar on them.  An animal wearing a collar would be classed as a pet
rather than some wild animal.

Introduce your neighbors to your pet (3 times I have been called about found
ferrets because everyone around us knows we have ferrets, and I have been
able to assist in returning the pet.)

2.) When you discover your pet missing, start an immediate search.  Tell
your neighbors you pet is missing.

Tell all of the neighborhood kids (kids have a great network, they like to
be involved, and most will even help you look.)

Listen for any neighborhood dogs raising a ruckus and check this out
immediately.

3.) Place a cage, carry case or box in your yard with food, water and towels
or blamkets that have you pet's smell on them (might even put one in both
the front and the back yards.) Keep checking these spots frequently.

4.) Call all of your friends who own ferrets.  I know I have spent time
looking for a friend's lost pet and others have helped me.

5.) Call the animal control officer (if ferrets are illegal in your area,
be very careful when contacting animal control.)

6.) Put another ferret on a leash and let them sniff around the area you
think your pet might have gone.  A whole make works best, and aggressive
female somtimes works.  The will start to make what we call the chubbling
sound.  But don't count on this working.  Your leashed ferret may b e so
happy to get outside it may be a wasted effort.  But I feel it is worth a
try.  I know is has worked twice.

7.) Call local veterinarians, pet stores and and Ferret Shelters.

8.) Call SPCA, Homeless Pet League, Special Pals, etc.  (Houston area
groups)

9.) Place a "LOST" ad in all local papers.

10.) KEEP LOOKING-NEVER GIVE UP.  We know of one who even returned on her
own.

                    And everything comes to One,
                 As we dance on, dance on, dance on.

                        Theodore Roethke