From:
FerretMom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 06:52:58 -0000
>>From:    Grace <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Tommy's Tonic?
>>Ok what is it and what is it for?
  [BK responds:]
>Ironically, its quack medicine.  Something we would never give to a
>ferret.  Unfortunately, running a shelter doesn't qualify one to know the
>difference between real medicine and ineffective "miracle cure alls".

Bill,

I normally agree with you - especially what you have said about collodial
silver.  I think I disagree with you but I'm not sure whether you are
referring to the product or the suggestions for use.

Timmy's Tonic contains mostly herbs.  Many of these herbs have been proven
to have a beneficial effect (such as the licorice root and elder flowers).
At the very least, some of the ingredients have a nutritional benefit
(such as the rose hips and alfalfa).  There is no collodial silver in the
product.

I think perhaps your reference to "quack medicine" refers to the
suggestions for its use rather than the content of the product and maybe
that is what you were intending.  *I* certainly wouldn't count on it to
save a ferrets life nor do I like to include dozens of herbs at one time
for a condition (I prefer to use 1 or 2 herbs so I can monitor the results
for a specific condition).  *I* also wouldn't use it as the sole method of
treating a potentially life threatning condition.

I use it because I have found that my ferrets enjoy drinking some of the
Timmy's Tonic mixed with water.  I consider it a treat, just like raisins
or dried papaya or brewer's yeast.  I try to pick treats based on what has
*some* benefit, and Timmy's Tonic falls into that category.

    -Carla