Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 22:55:32 -0400
Hello everyone,

The following is a message I just received from our author.  It is clearly
intended for all of you!  And, I just got the news that we've added 5 more
in support of our ferret bill and sadly one more opposed.  Those voting in
support are Migden, Bowen, Campbell, Napolitano and Woods!!!  Frusetta voted
no.  This information is from the legislative home page of the CA Assembly.
Take a look for yourself and enjoy:

Ayes: 64  Noes: 8  Abstaining or not voting: 8

FOLKS, THIS IS A LANDSLIDE!!!!!!

Here's the message from Jan.

Jeanne:

I just want to thank and congratulate ferret enthusiasts for their big
victory on Thursday.  You overcame some very strong opposition, although
that opposition is clearly based upon misinformation.

Members of the Assembly were convinced.  The applause on the floor from
members was among the strongest and genuine since I have been in the
Assembly.  We applaud, perhaps, 5 or 10 bills a year- out of thousands.
Your cause touched our members because they understand it is an example of
government over-regulating something personal and comparatively harmless.

Now, on to the Senate.

We may get an early hearing in the Natural Resources Committee.  As you may
recall, this committee killed SB 55 last year.  So, this will be a
challenge.  But, by no means should you be discouraged.  I believe we can
get this bill through the Senate and have it signed by the Governor.  But,
it is going to take hard work by a lot of people because the misinformation
has to be corrected.

Some of the best tools for showing the truth on this issue are the new
California State Library report, the Pacific Research Institute report,
and the support letters from the California Animal Control Directors
Association, the veterinarians association and the poultry industry
association.

However, the best tool is personal contact with Senators by constituents.  A
visit to the district or Sacramento office, a letter and a telephone call.

It is also important for people to write letters to the editor and call in
talk shows about this issue.  Take the theme that this is an example of
government intrusion into our rights, this silly ban is costing taxpayers
millions of dollars, people are going to jail over this while we do not have
jail space for real criminals and that California is the only state in the
continental U.S.  to ban pet ownership of domestic ferrets.

The members of the Senate Natural Resources Committee are fair minded and
sensitive.  The key swing votes might be Senators Pat Johnston, Mike
Thompson, Tim Leslie and Dede Alpert.  They are all good members who do
their homework.

It will not be easy getting this bill through the Senate.  But, it can be
done.

Again, congratulations on your well-deserved victory in the Assembly.

                   Jan

  +++++++++++++++++++++++++

All of you should know that Jan has been a tireless champion of this issue
and deserves much of the credit for this recent win.  However, all of his
hard work would be wasted if it were not for your letters, phone calls and
meetings with your representatives.  You have sent the strongest message to
the legislature that it is time for the good people of California to be
decriminalized for such innocent act of ferret ownership.  Without your
efforts on this bill's behalf, we would not have had the kind of victory we
did in the Assembly.

Here are the Members of the Senate Natural Resources Committee (thank you
Debbie A.):

Dede Alpert
1557 Columbia Street
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 645-3090

State Capitol, Room 2187
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-3952

Tom Hayden, Chair
10951 West Pico Boulevard, Suite 202
Los Angeles, CA 90064
No phone number listed

State Capitol, Room 2080
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-1353
No email address listed

Maurice Johannessen
410 Hemsted Drive, Suite 200
Redding, CA 96002
(916) 224-4706

State Capitol, Room 5061
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-3353

Patrick Johnston
31 East Channel Street, Suite 440
Stockton, CA 95202
No phone number listed

State Capitol, Room 5066
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-2407

Tim Leslie
1200 Melody Lane, Suite 110
Roseville, CA 95678
(916) 969-8232

State Capitol, Room 4081
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-5788

Dick Monteith
1620 North Carpenter Road, Suite A-4
Modesto, CA 95358
(209) 557-6592

State Capitol, Room 2048
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-1392

Jack O'Connell
228 West Carrillo, Suite F
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
(805) 966-2296

State Capitol, Room 5035
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-5405

Byron Sher
260 Main Street, Suite 201
Redwood City, CA 94063
(415) 364-2080

State Capitol, Room 2054
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-6747

Mike Thompson, Vice Chair
1040 Main Street, Suite 101
Napa, CA 94559
(707) 224-1990

State Capitol, Room 3056
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-3375

Californians for Ferret Legalization is asking that ferret folks coordinate
with us to schedule district meetings with each and every State Senator.  We
can provide constituents with the documents Jan mentioned above but we must
coordinate this effort because we can only send one packet per Senate
district (though 3-5 people can go to the district meetings).

Please e-mail or phone me to let me know you are working to schedule a
district meeting.  Start making those phone calls to your State Senators
NOW!!  District meetings are held locally on Fridays only so they fill up
fast.  Try to see the Senator in the district.  Tell your Senator that this
bill is very important to you and your family.  Be polite but persistent
because it is his/her job to listen to the concerns of constituents.  If the
Senator asks that you come to Sacramento please see them in their Sacramento
office if it is at all possible!

In any case, get in touch with me if you are successful in setting up a
district meeting so I can get you a packet of information to you.  I'm
supposed to take a much delayed vacation in late June, we'll see if I still
get to go, but if I do, I will make sure that there's someone else that has
the packets to ship to you.

In addition, Senator Leslie is running for State-wide office (for the life
of me I can't remember which) but all of us should write to him.  Senator
Thompson is running for the N.  CAL congressional office so he needs tons of
letters from N. California.  Please double your efforts in the Senate.  We
will need everyone to givbe 100% on this to win.

Also, you can see how important it is to get good, accurate press on this
issue.  Please write to the editor of your local papers.  A very bi-partisan
Assembly vote sends this bill to the Senate.  That alone should tell these
editors something about the merits of this bill.

Congratulations Californians on shepherding ferret legalization successfully
through the Assembly.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/lobby.html
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR ASSEMBLYMEMBER AND STATE SENATOR BY
VISITING THIS SITE!! IT'S TIME TO CALL AND WRITE YOUR   SENATOR--THE FIRST
COMMITTEE VOTE WILL HAPPEN SOON!