From:
Rochelle X <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 14:23:42 -0500
        Since there were a couple people asking about boarding ferrets in the
last FML, I thought I'd send in my suggestion.  I discovered that one of the
area vets will board ferrets - its not the vet I'm currently going to (I've
moved, and its a drive), but boarding at a vets office is absolutely wonderful.
First, you KNOW that your animal would be cared for if it suddenly got sick.
In fact, this place makes you sign off, saying you agree to pay for any
life-saving operations they might need to do.  Most pet-sitting services and
kennels wouldn't even know if your ferret was sick, and even if they did they
might wait for you to return and take care of it.  Second, the only vets that
do this are places that have at least some staff around all the time (on
weekends, etc.)  During business hours, vets offices can get pretty busy, but
over weekends there is a lot less activity - Shadow probably got played with
more there than at home.  In fact, I was told of how all three techs would sit
around on the floor with shadow and play with her until she was exhausted (and
then wait around watching for her to wake up again!).  I know most vets offices
won't board, but you may find one that does.  I'd call all the ones you can,
since I don't think the vets around here know that this other vet boards - your
vet may likewise not know, and thus be unable to refer you.  [Your best bet may
be a vet more "out in the country" or "out in the suburbs", where there is less
likely to be an emergency vetrinary service and vets are more likely to be
avail. 24 hours.]

Rochelle Newman