Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:18:49 -0400
I saw a post about an insurance company denying coverage because ferrets
are "wild animals".  I can't speak for other states, but about a year ago,
the city of Kalamazoo tried to ban ferrets by including them on a "wild
animal" ordinance.  My husband and I did *a lot* of research to try to
prevent this.  We contacted one of the state representatives who helped
draft the original ferret legalization bill (sorry, I can't remember her
name), and found the information that ultimately convinced the city's
attorney to remove ferrets from the bill.  (All of the statements from
ferret owners had *no* impact.)

FERRETS ARE CLASSIFIED BY THE STATE OF MICHIGAN AS DOMESTICATED ANIMALS!!!

Like I said, I can't speak for other states, but this is how Michigan
classifies them, and I would assume that an insurance company can't
reclassify an animal as wild, just because they don't want to give you
coverage.  Check with your representative to find out how the state
classifies the fuzzbutts.  Also try showing them a copy of the Rabies
Compendium, which puts ferrets in the same category as cats and dogs.

Just my two cents!

Dooks and Blessings,

Becky (with Cinnamon, Coke, Pixie, and Chitterbox [Just give me the cheese,
and no one gets hurt])

"You've got to dance like nobody's watching,
and love like it's never going to hurt."
Check out Pixie's Home Page at:
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Farm/3398