From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 00:11:36 -0400
Dear friends and fellow readers of the FML,

A few years back while spending lots of time in the Republic of Ireland I
came across an ancient pub filled with even more ancient Irishmen.  In the
Emerald Isle, "discussion" is second only to drinking as a favorite past
time.  "Discussions" in the Irish pubs are usually carried out at the top of
one's lungs -- much as some "discussions" have been carried out here
recently.  The difference between the discussions in the pub and here have
been the toasts.  Discussions in Irish pubs are punctuated by long draws on
a pint glass and most times, a toast is offered.  I recall one that is
appropriate for many of us:

"Here's to you (lift glass high here to your opponent),
and here's to me (take long sip of beer here),
In the hopes that we should agree.
If by some change we should disagree,
To hell with you (lift glass again),
And here's to me (another long sip here).

The toast is greeted by laughs and it is generally understood that no harm
or ill feelings are intended in the course of the "discussions."
So, friends -- Here's to you .  .  .

Scott