From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:27:29 -0500
>When ferrets have surgery for things like adrenal or insulinoma, do
>vets usually give them pain meds afterwards?  If so, what kinds of
>medicine are usually given?

In my experience, pain meds are not usually given.  Our pets either
seem to experience less pain than we do, or they're at least very good
at hiding their pain.

If meds are given, Torbutrol (butorphanol), Rimadyl (carprofen), and
Metacam (meloxicam) are common.  Torbutrol is a narcotic, and the other
two are non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) - usually prescribed
for arthritis and other joint issues, but also useful post-surgically.
Human meds (aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen) should NOT be used as they
can be deadly to ferrets.  For safety, it's a good idea to avoid all
human meds (for example, Aleve (naproxen sodium)) unless specifically
cleared by your vet.

Your vet might not prescribe post-surgical meds if you don't ask, but if
you have a ferret who seems to be in pain, be sure to ask them about it
specifically.

roger