From:
Tarra C Lindborg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 1994 21:36:46 -0600
When I came and checked my mail today I had received a very rude letter
from a fellow FML subscriber and ferret lover.  This letter accused me of
caring more about my wallet than my ferrets and contributing to the
shelter problems.  The opening line was, "Was your FML posting a joke?"
There were many very mean things said in this letter and I did not
appreciate it.  My biggest upset isn't that she said these things, it was
how.  Why not ask me questions to find out if I am really a bad person?
How about suggestions to help me be a better ferret breeder?  That would
help me more than a letter of pure condemnation.

I sincerely appreciate the amount of concern this person obviously has
for ferrets, and I can promise you that I share that concern for these
fuzzy, loving animals.  I do my best to go above and beyond what most
would.  I follow up with the buyers, it costs a lot every month when I
get that phone bill.  But I am content knowing that I helped people be
better and more knowlegable ferret owners.  The only pet store we sell
to is a friend of ours who cares about the ferrets as much as we do.  He
doesn't sell them to people unless they take home information and read
about the ferrets first.  We supply that information to him.  He gives
all the buyers our name and address and number and tells them we are
always there if they need us. He also makes it perfectly clear to all
buyers that if they cannot keep or care for their ferret, they will get
their money back and we will get our ferrets back if they need us or
cannot be sold.  We buy Ferret Food that is made fresh upon our order and
shipped across the country to us, it is very very expensive, but we love
our animals and we give them the best of everything we can.

In addition to caring for ferrets, we care for all animals.  We visit the
city pounds and shelters at least three times a week to see if there are
any animals we could possible care for or find homes for.  And people
wonder, why do we have so many animals?  Four dogs, five cats, and we are
always finding homes for others.  People wonder how we can afford it.  We
are barely making it, trying to buy our house and our car, feed all of
our animals and ourselves.  Thanks to my Mom we always eat with her, and
our fridge is bare, because every penny we have goes to our pets, who we
love like children.  And we are very happy, and very fulfilled.  I even
skipped getting an engagement ring because instead, we bought a ferret
who was sadly abused and unloved.  I am proud that we go so far to help
animals.  I am trying to get an humane society started here too.  And I
would love to spend my life running it and caring for animals.  That is
what we plan to do.

Carla, I have re-evaluated my priorities just as you said I should, and
this is what I have come up with. When you said we care more about our
wallets than our animals, you were very very mistaken.  I am sorry that you
didn't try to get to know me before judging me, because you were very wrong
in all the things you said.

If anyone has constructive criticism for us, we will be happy to listen.
And if anyone has suggestions about how we could be better pet owners or
ferret breeders, please, feel free to tell us.  There is always more to
know, and more to learn, and we are always ready to learn more about the
love of our life.

Well, a happy welcome to the FML it was for me, indeed.

Tarra Lindborg