From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 22:45:42 -0400
First letter:
>UK ferret live longer then the American ones so they must be doing
>something right

Given that no one has the numbers, but only conjecture and rumor it would
be more accurate to say "If UK ferrets...than the American ones..." and
use "then instead of "so".  Emphasis is on *IF*.

Next letter:
Oh, Wayne, thanks for skipping the stereotypes.  They are not merely
annoying, but, of course, often painfully inaccurate.

(BTW, do you happen to know Jim Dilger?  He's actually in biophysics with
a medical bent; did post-doc in Cambridge about 20 years ago, now at SUNY.
I know that the field has grown greatly in the last two decades, but just
in case...)

Next:
Benita, be careful with weights.  Barb C, who used to be member here lost
one years ago when a family member forgot to cage ferrets before using the
equipment and an accident occurred.  I don't lift if they are in same room
or can get there.

Finally:
Several points for MW: First off there is the possibility that what you
are seeing is shedding on top of the old adrenal fur loss.  It is still
shedding season in much of the U.S.  Secondly, fur regrowth can take a
while; Ashling has taken close to a year to regrow her's.  Third: adrenal
surgery is rarely a rush situation; you DO have time to save to save the
$250 that you said that you need over the next two months.

On the other aspects:
>and only get paid $7 an hr,my credit is bad so no credit cards,got other
>bills who wont appreciate my skipping them and thatll cost me more if i...
>barbie collection,bell collection, and my perfume bottle collection, but

If you send your snail mail address I can send you some free budget book
pages, and there are on-line places which help people on that score (budget
book design) as well if you want to stay more private.  There is nothing
as good as a weekly budget book for learning where the money goes, setting
goals and limits, and figuring out and sticking to financial priorities
(sorting needs from wants and ranking them, setting percentage limits for
fun money things, etc.).

There are also some fine books out there on the topic; every bookstore has
them or you could save money by using the ones in your library.  A number
of brokers, banks, and adult education services provide free or nearly-free
classes on money management.  (Private ones cost through the nose.)  The
best tool, though, is a budget book, preferably one that requires a lot
of work because a person spends less just to have less to enter.

Savings and financial independence give a lot of freedom.  Now, savings and
financial independence are not lightly earned; I can recall years of being
hungry and ones of patching patches on underwear (not exaggerating so I do
know how such things feel) and we are a long way from our eventual goals,
but making progress on this score sure beats having to worry or feeling
controlled by circumstances.  Besides, the most worthwhile things never
are easily attained.  I know that most of the folks here know what I mean,
since they also have gone through the same sorts of self-discipline and
patience to get control of their finances.