From:
Arlena Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:09:54 -0400
In Loving Memory Of Scooter!
(05/26/2003 - 11/27/2003)

These three short stories were written, during a four month period in
2003. As you can see, Scooter had a sense of humor. I think they were
originally posted in these Yahoo Groups: American Ferrets, Ferret
Friends and Fuzzy America.

(June 2003)

Hello Everyone,

My name is Scooter Furo. I am a young female albino ferret, with dark
eyes. I am about eight months old, being born at the Marshall's Ferret
Farm, in New York.

While I was on display at a petstore, in Leesburg Florida, an adult
human allowed a young human child to hold me. The human child dropped
me on the hard floor, which broke my back, where my hind legs join my
body.

After my broken back was discovered by the petstore manager, I was
taken to a veterinarian, who recommended I be put to sleep. But, the
petstore manager took pity on me, placing me in a glass cage in the
backroom of the petstore.

A few days later, I was shown to a kind woman, who would become my
owner and protector. After she promised to give me a good home and
take care of me, I was given to her. I was carried to my new home
in a cardboard pet transport box.

The next day, I was introduced to seven other ferrets, who also shared
my new home. Princess Whitefoot, the matriarch and oldest of group,
took a dislike to me, thinking I would be a threat to her. Bandit, the
oldest male, took a liking to me, preventing Princess Whitefoot from
attacking me. The other female ferrets are QT-WeeOne and Snow Flurry.
The other male ferrets are Trouble, Snow Storm and Sneaker. Both Snow
Flurry and Snow Storm are albino ferrets, with bright red eyes.

Arlena gave me a cardboard box to play and sleep in. During the night,
I was placed in my box at the head of her bed. After a few weeks, I
outgrew my box and was given a large plastic storage box. Now, I spend
the nights sleeping at the foot of her bed.

Arlena made a mobility device for me to get around in, while I am
playing on the livingroom floor. It was made from a toy skateboard and
a plastic container. The first time I was placed in it, I was quite
scared, trying to outrun the device. But, I became used to it, as I
ran around the livingroom.

I am given a warm bubble bath, just about every day, to keep me clean.
After my bath, I am wrapped in a heavy towel, until I am dry. I like
to take a nap, along side of Arlena, who keeps me warm.

I am given all types of treats to eat, with pizza being my favorite.
She also gives me plenty to toys to play with. Sneaker keeps trying to
steal my newest toy, a plastic dumb-bell, with bells inside. To stop
Sneaker, I will bite him on his nose, as he leans into my box.

When I get my toys out, to play with them, sometimes Arlena will put
them back in their storage bowl. This just drives me crazy, as I take
them out again. Arlena smiles at me, as she strokes my back.

What really drives me crazy is when Arlena squeezes a squeaky toy. This
sound makes me want to bite her, which I have done a few times.

What I need to know: How do I train my human owner? When I want out of
my box to play, I have to jump up and down. When I want a treat or
something Arlena is eating, I stare at her and beg.

(August 2003)

Last week, Arlena took me the PetLand of Leesburg petstore. This is the
place from which I was adopted, about two months ago.

The manager and a couple of other employees were very interested in
watching me in my mobility device. After I was put in the container and
placed on the floor, I was off and running. I wanted to explore my new
surroundings, since I could smell other animals in the area.

The baby rabbits were very interesting and an old instinct was aroused
in me. I wanted to play with them, to show them who was the boss. But,
Arlena would not to go near them.

Arlena's father used my cousins to hunt rabbits, when she was a very
young child. They were placed down the rabbit hole and her father
waited for my cousins to chase the rabbits out of their home.

Before we left the petstore, I was allowed to select a new toy, a
bouncing Bobble-Ball.

(September 2003)

My human is pretty well trained to attend to my needs. But, sometimes,
she needs to be reminded just who is the boss. She needs to be reminded
to give me a warm bubble-bath.

When I want attention, I stare at her, to get her attention. If this
does not work, I rattle my toys, in my toy-bowl. Sometimes, if I am
lonely, I do this in the middle of the night or in the early morning
hours.

Arlena accuses me of throwing a tantrum, when I jump up and down, in my
box. I only do this, when I can not get here attention, or when I want
her to give me a treat, or when I want a piece of what she is eating.

A couple of days ago, she took a picture of me, while I was napping.
The bright flash of the camera woke me up. Another picture was taken,
as I looked up at her. Both pictures were not too very flattering,
since I need my beauty-sleep.