From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 03:00:25 +0000
Well, I haven't been posting much, but aside from my own health problems,
Rocky was going downhill.  Getting very lethargic and seemingly weak.  Took
him in a couple of times, he acted like a normal ferret at the vet, but we
did a blood workup this last time and it looks like insulinoma or adrenal.
I have surgery scheduled for next Thursday.

About a week and a half ago, Brit, the youngest, went snorkling in my water
glass.  Starting snorting the next day, was better off and on, and then went
into accute respritory distress about 1 am on Monday.  Made a call to the
vet in a town about an hour and a half drive away since they have a little
more experience with ferrets than the vet here, kept her in a steamed
bathroom all night, staying up to be sure that the bathroom stayed steamy
and she didn't overheat and drove her to the vet at 6:30 am that morning.
The vet thought heart disease, because Brit wasn't acting sick and nothing
could be heard in the lungs.  Nothing wrong with the hear, but she does have
pneumonia.  They couldn't get blood out of her, but considering what she was
doing the day before it started, I'm sure she probably inhaled some water.
So she's on two big gun antibiotics, doing steam and rub therapy, and being
too smart for her own good.  The third time I tried to give her the pill,
she had learned to fake swallowing *L*.  She looks like she'll pull though
just fine, if I can keep her meds getting into her.

The other two are just fine.  My newest, Tempest is a rescue, and a ferret's
ferret.  The 2 yo doesn't stop!  Slowly learning to get along with the other
ferrets.  He met a number of people tonight when we were out for our walk.

Well...have to go give meds again, and steam up the bathroom one more time
before bed!

Dooks!
Tempest, Brit, Rosa, & Rocky

Sue M.