From:
Gilbert Le Cren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 09:57:23 -0700
Downey, Susan:
RE EYE PROBLEM:

We have a ferret ( Bandit ) with a similar buldging eye.  In his case, it
turned out to be glaucoma.  The hallmark of this disease is an increase in
the preasure within the eye.  This will eventually lead to vision loss.
After an initial evaluation by his vet.  He was refered to a vetinary
ophthamologist, who had some experience with ferrets.  She had been trained
at the Animal Veterinary Hospital in New York City.  We were very impressed
with her knowlege and handiling of our Bandit.  He has gone on to develop
glaucoma in the other eye, but is otherwise unimpared.  His current
treatment is 0.25% Timoptic twice a day to both eyes and 1.0% Pilostate
also twice a day to both eyes.

Although our case turned out to be glaucome, your animal should be check
out by his own vet and additionally a vet.  ohpthamologist.  The eye is a
very specialized organ.  and most vets have very little in depth training
on treating eye problems.  It should be left to the experts who have the
knowlege and equipment.