From:
Janet O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 22:33:11 -0400
Thinking about Kodo brings to mind an incident about a year ago in New
Mexico.  A little 8 year old girl found a baby black bear cub near her home.
She tried to bring the little guy home and while struggling to carry him, he
bit her.  When she found out that the baby bear would be killed to test for
rabies she became very upset and insisted on taking the rabies shots herself
and allowing the little guy to go into quarantine rather than be killed.
Even though her folks were not wealthy and the shots were expensive and
uninsured, her folks agreed, and so did the Fish and Game people.  She went
through the shots, and to my knowledge the bear made it through quarantine
and was relocated somewhere.  I know this story is true because I not only
donated money to help with the shots (I called the hospital where she
received them and got validation of the facts), I also sent the little girl
a bear and some other little goodies.  I received a lovely note from her
mom.  I wish someone could please explain to me why it takes an 8 year old
to figure out that all life is important, and why New Mexico has no trouble
understanding what Michigan obviously can't get through their heads.  Duh?

bear hugs & ferret kisses,

Janet O'Brien