From:
"Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:59:44 -0500
Marshall Farms originally started as a puppy farm, breeding (beagles?) for
both pet store sale and medical research.  Their operation grew to include
ferrets, as the had the foresight to see that ferrets would soon become a
popular pet.  Regretfully, while their operation has increased in size by a
reported four hundred percent or more, their facilities have not.  Even if
the four hundred percent number (I have no hard fact to back that up- it is
strictly hearsay) is inaccurate, we in the ferret community can use common
sense to realize that their operation has grown significantly over the
years.  It is the cramped conditions coupled with euthanization of breeding
females who are too old and their bodies too tired to breed any further (at
an age of two to three) that I take exception to.

I also have serious moral issues with the use of ferrets or any other
animals in the testing of products.  While I agree that without SOME animal
testing, important medical cures may never have been found, product testing
for consumer goods such as shaving cream, perfumes, dyes, etc. on animals
is obscene.  These things can be tested on volunteer human subjects with the
same results.

Of course the early alter policies and artificially created photoperiods to
induce heat in females are also valid points for argument.  But they are
more difficult to prove, and more difficult to argue.

Marshall Farms does have valid points for altering ferrets at a young age.
The earlier the ferret is handled by the owner, the better the socialization
in the adult years.  Many pet stores give little to no, or worse yet,
inaccurate information about ferret care to prospective owners.  I shudder
to think of the females who would die from being allowed to remain in heat
by unknowing owners who bought an unspayed female.  There would be many,
many people that would not have the spay done, even if they had been told to
by the pet store, because, face it, humans hear what they want to hear.
There really is no perfect solution to this problem.  Perhaps a compromise-
8 week alters shipped at 9-10 weeks would make more sense.  While I think
most of us would love to see only small breeder ferrets sold directly from
the breeder to the consumer, we need to be realistic.  This is not going to
happen.  If MF was shut down, the other ferret mills would simply get
larger, and new ones would open in their place.

Perhaps also, MF would compromise and begin turning over the females
scheduled for euthanization to not-for-profit groups such as schools, rest
homes, rehabilitation facilities, etc.  They could in turn take a tax
write-off for this "service".  Of course the females should be spayed first.

It seems that compromise and education are needed here.  As I previously
said, a later alter/ship schedule.  Marshall's needs to spend more time
educating pet store owner/managers, who in turn need to educate their staff
and the public.  Education is the key word here.

Of course the conditions within Marshall Farms are something that we should
be writing to the USDA and NYS Dept of Health and NYS Department of
Envronmental Conservation and Fish and Game to ask for them to look into.

One other point I would like to bring up.  Marshall Farms is located in
Upstate New York.  There have been at least one documented instance (I'm
certain many more like it exist) where MF has shipped crates of ferrets out
via air cargo and directly into incoming Noreasters, where kits died after
sitting in a freezing, drafty, damp cargo hold for many, many hours becuase
flights were grounded.  There is absolutely no excuse other than poor
judgement, management and lack of concern for the ferrets well-being for
this type of situation.  Major storms are predicted days before they happen.
To ignore all warnings and ship ferrets under these conditions is
irresponsible, reprehensible and deplorable.  There is just no excuse for
this.

I will continue to boycott all Marshall Farms Products until they will at
least sit down with members of LIFE, LOS, AFA and HSUS to discuss the
problems that they create for the ferret shelters, as well as thier shipping
policies.  Only when they have cleaned up their act with overcrowding in
their facility, revamped their alter and shipping schedules, initiated an
education plan for Pet Store owners and propective ferret owners, and
stopped euthanising breeding females who they no longer have "use" for, will
I give this company another dime.  Until then, I will take care of the 5 MF
rescues I am now owned by, and put my disposable income towards products
amde by other companies who are more interested in the health and care of
ferrets than the almighty dollar.

-Mrs. Duck