From:
Wes Hurley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 11:45:49 -0800
There are 17 boy-ferrets and 21 girl-ferrets (38 in all) at The Ferret &
Dove Sanctuary, Inc., of Pensacola, Florida(also 7 cats, 12 domestic
doves, 1 rabbit, 1 dog) located at 3815 Tom Lane Drive under the care
of Susie Lee and Wes Hurley and the medical director, Dr. Chew, DVM who
runs Ferry Pass Animal Hospital located exactly 1 mile away from this
facility.

ALL testing and shots are done at the Animal Hospital where the medical
records are recognized in any legal situations which may arise, and any
new fur-babies are quarrantined until seen by the vet, whether it's the
same day or until the next business day, and remain under strict
reverse-isolation until all test results come back and are documented
at the Animal Hospital.  (any rumors or bad-mouthing about us not testing
at our place is strictly from complete misunderstanding.  Of course we
don't test in our home; their testing And shots and any major medical
treatments are done at the Animal Hospital...in accordance with
recommendations of the sherriff's department's Animal Control Officers
who said that a licensed veterinary medical facility is the only place
(in Florida, most certainly in the County of Escambia, Florida) where
such records will be legally recognized.  Without veterinary medical
licensing, any shot records or testing records we want to make as a
shelter (in the case of giving them, ourselves) would be thrown out of
even the smallest court.

Therefore, we do not administer shots or tests, the licensed Veterinary
medical facility which can, Does do so and we keep copies of those
records, kept up to date on everyone.

Whatever your state or county, ask your local law enforcement agency
about what's the right thing to do to protect yourselves and your animals
and birds in this sort of thing...very many will, indeed, tell you that
testing or shots in your home won't be recognized in court; so do it
right the first times!  get them done And documented in a licensed
veterinary medical facility!