From:
Amy Robbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 10:30:02 -0400
Hi Robin.  Behavior varies from ferret to ferret.  Marshall Farms ferrets
are not typically skittish, they are handled extensively from birth.
Some trust issues may come from how she was handled at the petstore,
or it may just be her personality.

I have had six MF ferrets, 4 male and 2 female

Critter, male from petshop.  Has always been a love.  When he wanted
attention he would climb right up on the couch and stretch out beside
me.  SusieQ, Female from shelter.  Independent, feisty, sweet but not
a cuddler.  Easy to handle, clip nails, clean ears etc but tolerates
being held for only a few minutes

Tequila same as Susie but doesn't get a long with larger ferrets.  She
was a people ferret and was an only ferret for the first two years of her
life so she didn't understand the ferret play concept and thought they
were trying to kill her.  I wanted to find her a friend so I eventually
bought her a "baby" a 8 week old MF male for her to "train" onto what
play was acceptable.  He eventually out grew her and became to rough for
her to want to play with...but she is at least not afraid of him and will
put him in his place when she's had enough.  She's a little bit of a
scaredy ferret.

Moose and Buster from shelter both male.  Moose could care less if he
saw a person or not, but very easy to handle.  Didn't like being held.
Buster was a love, always in your face.  Loved attention but didn't
want to be held.

Vin Dweasel.  Newest addition, petstore male.  Huge!  Sweet, like a rag
doll...but runs and hides under things when you move.  He just peeks out
until he feels safe.  He was never abused or mishandled in any way shape
or form, that's just him.  He came from the same petshop as Critter.  If
I approach slowly he will let me approach without running.  but runs from
everyone else, then turns and decides whether he wants to approach.

Two non MF boys.  Gus, deaf panda.  In your face, affectionate but
doesn't care to be held.  Too bold for his own good.  Little Buster,
acts like a squirrel...any sudden movement...he heads for the nearest
hiding place.  Another scaredy cat.

The bolters also seem to be the more aggressive.  They will run and hide,
but if they feel threatened, they will bark or hiss at you and sometimes
lunge.  They are all different.  That's why we need to have so many!!!!!

Amy Robbin
Manager, Human Resources
SeaChange International, Inc.
Phone:  (978) 897-0100