From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 21:19:37 EDT
[2-part post, combined.  BIG]

Yikes!  I'm here!  I'm here!  And a bit disappointed with the tone of some
FML'ers lately.  But, that's just my opinion and it's not worth more than
anyone else's.  Thank you to everyone who sings such high praises for
Ferrets for Dummies.  It always makes me feel good and heaven knows you
guys do a much better job at publicizing than the actual publisher!  With
that in mind:

Then Sukie wrote:
>Yes, this book is absolutely marvelous for anyone!  I know of vets who
>keep it around to educate people, too!  Kim may be a bit too busy with
>health concerns such as her broken back and broken pelvis from a riding
>accident to teach extensively right now, though.  The publishing house
>certainly will be able to discuss translation options.

Yes, can't a girl break her back in peace?  Or pieces?  I'm recovering
slowly, BUTT surely from a broken back and pelvis.  I shuffle around like
I'm 105, but at least I can shuffle!!  And I'm also nursing a very fragile
pregnancy which miraculously survived my bad fall.  Despite all that, I'm
very rusty on my Hebrew, so I couldn't possibly translate.  hehehehe.  I
might be able to translate to Latin or Greek, but it's been years since
I was asked to do something like that.  My publisher might consider
translating if there was truly a market for such a thing.  I'd like to see
it translated into Spanish, French, whatever...... But publishers are in
it for the money only.  Someone would have to prove to them there's a big
enough market.  If they don't see a possibility of making quite a hefty
profit, then they won't invest their own time and money to translate and
market it.  Hell, they aren't doing such a great job marketing it in
ENGLISH.  I dunno what else to say.  On another note, my uncle is a Jesuit
in Rome.  He is fluent in 12 languages including Hebrew.  Maybe he'd be
interested in trading his bible for a ferret book a few times a day.
Translating certain words/ideas will be difficult.

Sukie further says:
>If you do think of writing a book, Matan, you will need to interact and
>LISTEN to those who have much more experience than you have.  That is not
>a criticism, simply a bluntly stated fact.  Even those who do have a lot
>of experience (such as Kim) have long lists of thank yous to those whose
>advice, comments, and suggestions made their books as good as they are.
>Take a look at Kim's beautiful acknowledgements section when you buy her
>book, _Ferrets for Dummies_ in which about 50 people are thanked.

I could not have written that book without the help of people WAY more
knowledgeable about ferrrets than I am.  I still do not consider myself
more knowledgeable than most of the old timers on this list (forgive my
choice of words).  In fact, in certain cases when people ask for help, I
refer them to people I know specialize in certain things - such as problem
biters!  Matan, if you do go off on your own writing spree, get some help!
The best reference books are put together with MANY minds.

>From:    matan rosenstrauch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: KIM SHILLING - WHERE R U?

>I NEED KIM SHILLING.  DOES ANY1 HAVE HER E-MAIL?  AND KIM - IF U READ
>THIS E MAIL ME POR FAVOR.
>
>MATAN FROM ISRAEL.

I'm here, Matan!  You now have my e-mail address.  Don't know how much I
can help you, but I'll try if you're willing to do some of the leg work
yourself.  Someone once e-mailed the FML looking for me and I did respond
privately.  I could swear it was you (by the consistent mispelling of my
last name), but I never did hear back.  Por favor?  hehehehehe.  I'm not
very good with my Spanish, Matan, so don't go switching languages on me!

>From:    Kim Reyes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Matan

>Well guys, Matan does exist.  When I sent him Ferret for Dummies, to an
>Israel address, he sent me an email thanking me and asking why I did it.
>I told him that he seemed to need information and help.

That's so cool.  We're in Israel now!  Unfortunately, I don't think it
helped if he's asking you why you would send it to him.

I don't read the FML much.  It's hard enough to try to heal and care for
over 100 animals (more than 45 species).  And I'm back to work already!
Sometimes I scan the FML posts to see if anything catches my eye.  The fact
that Matan was listed as a topic so many times caught my eye.  I thought
I'd check it out.  I don't have much to say in defense of some of his
ideas.  Some of his posts make my shiver.  On the other hand, some of the
other FML posts make me cringe too.  I don't know if Matan really even
wants help and that can be extremely frustrating to those who try or those
who continue to read his posts.  I do know that culture differences play a
very big role in the heated emotions being flung back and forth.  I think
he needs help from people of his own culture.  I mean, can you see a native
Chinese person coming here and asking us to help write a book on caring for
dogs before cooking them up for a family dinner.  I would have a difficult
time with that one, but I could help with some of the other husbandy
issues.  The fact is, Matan's culture is very different from ours.  They
view animals differently.  We don't have to like it, but we can't change
it.  I can see myself writing some pretty heated things aimed at Matan and
also Matan's attackers.  So, I stay out of it as much as I can.  However,
it REALLY saddens me when people attack another person because of their
broken language, an imperfect understanding of English, poor spelling or
grammar!  While I disagree terribly with a lot of what Matan posts and his
often cocky appearing attitude, I do admire the fact that he keeps coming
back in his broken English after being ridiculed for his broken English.  I
think it's the lowest of the low to cut people residing in other countries
down for not being more educated in the English language.  How many of you
attacking Matan are fluently bilingual?  And if you are, how many people
ridiculed you when you didn't get it just right?  And people in the US?
Not everyone was afforded a wonderful education like most of you.  Not
everyone can spell perfectly, put their commas in the right places or
whatever - yet these people are made fun of by some of you.  Some of you
should just keep to yourself and count your blessings that you're luckier
than many around you.

I'm sorry for the rant in the end.  I have a handicapped brother who was
often poked fun of and ridiculed by perfect people.  And the funny thing
is that he's perfect in more ways than most of the people who ridiculed
him.  Making fun of someone's lack of education or early stage of education
just sucks in my eyes.  I can't tolerate that and I'm completely baffled by
people who haven't been raised a little better than that.

Again, I'm not speaking about the posts attacking Matan's ideas or
attitude, although some of those were pretty sickening.  I'm speaking
only about attacking his or anyone else's grammar, spelling or English.
That blows me away.

Respectfully and in pain,

Kim Schilling and the Zoo
Author of "http://www.animalsforawareness.org/Ferret%20Book.htm"
Ferrets for Dummies

Director, "http://www.animalsforawareness.org"
Animals for Awareness
"Protection through Education"
A USDA, 501(C)3 non-profit educational facility dedicated to exotic and
wild animals.

Come join our yahoo group
"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Procyonid_Viverrid"
Procyonid_Viverrid for raccoon, coati, kinkajou, ringtail cat, genet,
binturong and civet lovers.