Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:08:44 -0500
I just have one thing to say because both sides have brought up
everything I'd ever want to say or ask. Sorry, questions and criticisms
are not slamming. Stop getting so emotional. People have the right to
question and examine things if they want. Possibly those they are
questioning also have the right not to answer. Free speech ... and all
of that. Please don't fight over whether or not someone is being over
critical or asking the "wrong questions" in your opinion. You're just
looking for something to fight over this wonderful holiday season. THAT
is what is poison. We all can do without all the rhetoric taking up FML
space. There is nothing wrong with discussion or heck small argument
either. Especially over something that is possibly the most monumental
thing to have happened to ferrets in U.S. history. In my eyes, the
only slamming and severely negative imput I"m seeing on the FML is
the people complaining and yelling about the debate.

I wouldn't be Wolfy if I could count. So the second thing I have to say
and want to ask is personal to me. A few people keep saying that it
doesn't matter what the details of the rescue are. That it would not
change anything an adopter is doing or how they would love their new
baby. As if we are loosing site of what is important and going off on
some wild emotional and selfish tangent. It DOES affect new owners. It
does affect rehabbing. It is important that we know the story now, not
later in a book, magazine, published web document etc.. My son, Sean of
Sean and Rocky, suffered for many years because experts told me "But
what does it matter what his diagnosis is ... why are you obsessing on
getting one, to have that label is so serious. Good teaching is good
teaching. He his happy. His needs are being met." They treated him as
a "special ed kid" .. one with general delays. You cant' do that! Just
like you can't treat every animal in some generic way when they come
in. We lived in limbo for two reasons because of the lack of specific
treatment. Some things that you do for developmentally delayed kids is
totally contraindicated in autistic kids and you can not just hinder
progress but severely damage them. A lot of disorders are like that in
fact. Sean did not get the very best of treatment that he deserved for
a very long time. And his family lived in the dark and not having their
feelings validated for a long time ... a hell in its own. I'm hearing
new parents of the Ohio Rescue ferrets doing various things and not all
approaches can possibly be right for these circumstances. We are all
probing in the dark discovering things good and bad all at these little
guys expense. An example might be if gloves were used at the farm but
in a bad way or during bad circumstances, then using gloves would be a
terrible thing for some. And vice versa ... if they are used to them,
they will be of comfort until they adapt. If ferrets were culled/killed
on the farm within ear shot of ferrets, then squeaking toys in the
house and trying to get them used to them or stimulating them would be
a devastating thing. If some ferrets were transported to several sites,
or through several legs of the drive we need to know that. There are
endless questions about the details of their long adventure that we
need to know. We need to know so we don't delay their rehabbing, or
worsen it. We need to know as families just as I needed to know about
Sean. There is just a whole emotional issue there privately. I know one
of my rescues detailed story ... and wow, I treasure that information
and I thank the two people that shared it with me from the bottom of my
heart. Know what? She took four days to adapt. I have another that I
know very, very little about. Know what? She is stuck here as I foster
her until she can get a straight shot to her owner because she is
taking a long time to adapt and has a lot of issues. If I knew
everything, I could probably do better by her, just as I did for my
other one.