Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:58:17 EST
Debi--Alerting is considered a TASK. (Animals that alert to medical --
not mental -- conditions are referred to as "Signal Animals" and are
generally dogs, because in addition to signalling, they are generally
also trained to stand guard over their owner if the owner has a
seizure.)  Signal animals are recognized under the ADA. An establishment
is within their legal right to ask for a letter from a qualified
professional (doctor, social worker, physical therapist, etc.)
that states that the individual has a disability and requires a
service/signal animal as an accommodation under the ADA. I think that
very few qualified professionals would put their license on the line
to describe a ferret as such.

Claire--I think that it's a real stretch to call a hotel room temporary
housing unless it's under extraordinary circumstances such as loss of a
home due to a fire or flood or such. Frankly because so many hotels and
motels WILL accept pets, it seems that there are better battles to
pick. ;)