From:
Phyl Spy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:49:50 -0600
When MaFF was founded in 1996, it was a "grassroots" organization focused
on legalizing ferrets in Massachusetts.  Once that was accomplished,
shelters were soon to follow.

It is my understanding that, in the early days of MaFF, the request for
monetary assistance for Massachusetts-licensed shelters came in the form
of a written request for reimbursement funds for surgeries, etc.  MaFF
set up a specific fund to provide for these requests.  There were also
some donations made for funds with very specific (but not entirely clear)
guidelines for distribution of funds.

Now, here is where is MaFF started to run into some problems with shelter
reimbursements and MaFF guidelines for reimbursable funds.
1) The shelter is to be a Massachusetts-licensed shelter, and
2) the reimbursements are designated to assist the shelters with
  "extraordinary expenditures".

During the year 2001, MaFF was presented with requests for well over
$2,000 for surgeries, etc. with very little coming into the "coffers"
due to decreased membership, poor attendance at events, and lack of
participation in fundraisers.  The Board of Directors, after looking
at MaFF's operating expenses, etc., determined that it would need to
re-think its position with regards to shelter assistance.

It was about this time that MaFF was faced with the possibility of
dissolution.  That being said and to the best of my knowledge, almost no
funds have been distributed from MaFF accounts for well over a year,
other than those needed for the barest of monthly maintenance expenses.
If MaFF did choose to go the route of dissolving, then any funds in the
accounts were to be dispersed according to the laws of the Commonwealth
of Massachusetts laws regarding the "dissolution of an organization".

The goal of the newly re-organized MaFF is
1) to hold General Meetings where members can come together to discuss
   the best means of providing assistance for the shelters,
2) to provide better financial reporting to the members regarding the use
   of their membership fees and donations, and
3) to provide better communication between MaFF members and shelter
   operators.

By attending the scheduled General Meetings, members, shelter operators
and their volunteers will have an opportunity to express their wishes on
how they would like to see MaFF work with our shelters.

MaFF has just gone through a difficult time and this is the time to look
at ways to better serve the ferret community.  We can look at our past
failures and grumble about them or we can learn from them and become a
better organization from it.  Membership participation is crucial to a
healthy organization.  In order to better determine what role you would
like to see MaFF play with regards to shelter assistance, we need your
input.  With this in mind, I would ask that people remember that MaFF
cannot solely support shelters and there sometimes comes a point where we
need to say "This is all we can give at this time." It is a sad reality
and one that none of us likes, particularly when it comes to the ferrets.

I would invite this person to attend our next meeting and bring these
issues to the floor for discussion.  This will give us an opportunity
to draw up some clear guidelines for shelter assistance in the future.
Nothing is accomplished by complaining and grousing.  Progress is made
through healthy and constructive dialogue.  MaFF has already gone through
its period of people sitting in the background complaining about what
MaFF has not or did not do.  Now is the time for you to offer suggestions
and recommendations on an issue that you are passionate about.

Finally, anyone who feels that their donation is better used by donating
it directly to a shelter, I strongly recommend that method.  I know that
many of us do both - support MaFF as well as our favorite shelter.  When
it comes to donations, you must do whatever your heart tells you.
Membership in MaFF takes on many forms other than donations.  Education
and outreach, just to name two.  Again, as a member of MaFF, you are
invited to contribute what works best for you - money, time, talents,
etc.  We hope to see all of these go to improving life for ferrets.

 Phyllis M. Spy
 Massachusetts Ferret Friends, Inc.
 A non-profit organization dedicated to education, outreach and shelter
 to benefit the domestic ferret