From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:32:30 -0500
We regret to inform you that we will not be having our annual ferret
lovers' gathering, this year. It was never a fundraiser -- just an
open-house style gathering, with lots of food for all our ferret
friends, & friends-to-be. It was a great chance for all of us to put
faces with the names we saw on list -- and many came quite a distance
to be here! This year, we do not have the funds for a party. All the
money will need to go to the furchildren in our care.

As I said on another list, when someone comes to us with a with a
seriously ill, or dying fertie "because I can't afford to take it to
the vet" we have two choices. We can say "Gee, I'm sure sorry -- It
looks like he's going to die"---or we can break out the surrender
form, and our own personal charge card, & try to help the ferret.

In the last four months, we took in Torrie (emergency surgery--saved),
Farrah (emergency surgery--saved), Sam, emergency diagnostics to
determine that he couldn't be helped--then euthanasia), Ashley
(emergency surgery--saved), Stantz (emergency visit, bloodwork, Xrays--
saved), Susan (emergency vet visit, bloodwork, Xrays--saved), Gwen
(supportive care) Slinky (supportive care), Marshmellow (supportive
care--lost tonight), & Minksy2, (supportive care)

Even with generous discounts from the vet, it cost my husband & me just
under $2000. to do our best for these ferrets (and then there were
meds!) We just purchased lupron for our 21 adrenal ferrets (OUCH!)
Several of these little ones were surrendered "because I can't afford
the surgery or cancer treatment" Two more 6 1/2 year olds will be
coming this week. We are the only ferret facility in 79 miles. Most
here would have been PTS if we hadn't taken them. (Many health &
behavioral issues.)

Second (and third!) topics--Giving Tree and sponsorship--Zoo's will not
be on the Giving Tree again this year, because I am unable to choose
which of our little furkids will get a Santa--and which ones won't...
I will list their names for you, and if a name speaks to you, and you
would like to send a little something to that ferret, and be its Santa,
thank you very much. (You choose--I can't.)

If you would like to sponsor one with a few dollars each month, or help
power up the food account with April at Totally Ferret, that would be
wonderful too. Expenses happen all year long--not just at the holidays!
(It's kinda like adopting one without the mess! LOL) Many of ours are
older, or terminal, so the commitment might not be for very long :(

Names, not including our personal (Eddie), & 15 fostered at other
locations:

Gwen
Princess
Melmin Honey Bear (taken)
Angel
Ruckus
Cinnamon
Roy (taken)
Princess Flash
George
Mac
Comet
Bradley
Bongo (taken)
Kodo
Buddy
Baby Girl
Rossi
Bear Bear
Daisy Mae
Cosette
Felix
Thelma
Gary
Vixen
Torrie
Louise
Fresno
Joey
Desdemona (taken)
Farrah
Monet
Hampshire Buddy
Olivia (taken)
Snickers
Wackford
Max
Snicky
Bacardi
Callie
Cosmo
Grimly
Syd
Morrigan
Slinky3
Cassie
Hunter
Noel
Little Girl
Slinky2
Susan
Ashley
Franklin
Fiona
Minksy2
Mary
Lucy
Bella
Stantz
Belix
Miss Kitty
Goon
Buelah
Bullitt
Riley
Ezra
Ben
Jerry
Georgia
Addie

Thank you for partnering with us in the rescue, & lifetime care of
these little ones. May you be richly blessed.

Love,
Zoo