From:
"Jeffery A. Haremski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:18:31 -0500
>From:    Fianna <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Older Ferret and a Tooth Problem
>... she has a severe problem with her right rear molar.  It is yellow and
>was bleeding some....
>I was wondering what options I have available to me.  I'm afraid that
>taking her in for surgery and having them put her under would be a high
>risk situation due to her advanced age.

If she is losing weight, take her to the vet!  Tell your vet you have
concerns, and let the vet decide if it is risky (or not) to have the tooth
extracted or filled.

I just had my 7 year old's teeth cleaned and a skin tumor removed, and
everything went just fine.

>From:    Brett & Melissa Lapham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Teeth problems
>... they have pretty stained teeth, and we are a little concerned about
>them.  What can we do to help our babies out?... what can wee do at home?
>Are there brushes that should be used/avoided, cleaners, methods to brush
>the teeth without loosing a finger, etc???

I have heard of using sterile gauze to "brush" the teeth.  Take some gauze,
wrap it around you little finger, and try to "brush" the teeth.  Do NOT
use any type of toothpaste.  You can put a drop of ferretone on the gauze.
Good luck, you're going to need it!  ;)

>From:    Elliott Shake <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Clipping the nail veins?
>I read that you have to watch for a ferret's vein in the nails when you're
>clipping them.  I looked at a ferret in the pet store and couldn't see the
>vein.  Is it hard to find, or is it so far back that you really dont have
>to look for it.  Does it bleed very much?  I know if you cut a dog's nail
>vein it bleeds like HECK.

You should be able to see the red vein.  In adults it is very visible,
perhaps it is less so in kits.

If you cut the vein, it hurts them a lot.  And it bleeds a lot.  Have some
"kwik-stop" handy.