From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1992 00:00:02 -0400
Some of you may recall that a few issues back I posted some information
about someone trying to overturn the New York City ban on ferrets.

At the same time (I think) I posted information and an article about someone
(in NYC) who was being asked to turn over his ferret to the health department
(so the ferret's brain could be examined for rabies) since it bit someone.

These two incidents are very much related - the attorney who is assisting
in overturning the ban is using the biting ferret incident as a way into
the court system - apparantly the attorney believes that in this case it
is necessary to show that someone was harmed as a result of anti-ferret
legislation in order to overturn the legislation.   Without getting into
too many details (just in case it would spoil the case, though I can't see
how), there are several ways this man was "harmed"... let's see where it
goes.

Turns out that it all seems to come down to one bureaucrat - he has no
reason to want to change the law and cites some "facts" about why it
should remain (e.g. rabies risk).  At the same time, he doesn't seem to
be hostile - he just wants incredible amounts of pro-ferret evidence so
that if he sticks his neck out and supports legalization he couldn't be
accused of slacking off.  I'm not saying he is open-minded about it all,
but could be worse I suppose.  In my experience, finding a bureaucrat in
NYC government that you can even talk to (as opposed to cursing at), is
pretty tough by itself.

Of course, it is to be expected that someone else in government and/or
animal rights etc. people might try to cause trouble were legalization
imminent, but things are moving along and we can all hope.

Support wise: I'm told that there may come a time when letters from
satisfied ferret owners will be VERY important - will spread the word
again when the time has come.

Thanks for previous support - it has been forwarded.

Bill