From:
"Holmquist, Maxwell R" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 12:19:47 -0600
Hi,

All this talk and post of ferreta and Ca Ca land has gooten me to thinking.
For one, Californis is a country within in a country so to say.  Everything
that I have experienced in that state has been much diiferent than many
other states in a general sense.  A lot more people, social class
controversy, movie stars, west coast additude, earthquakes, fires, floods,
and other natural disasters, bogus laws that have exsisted since the
stoneage, air pollution to major extremes, and worst of all pig-headed
politicians.  What steams me the most is why California will not allow
ferrets as pets.  When the Fish and Gestapo made these ancient laws,
California was having serious problems with wild animals and exotics, etc...
in the environment.  Just because the ferret has ties to the weasel family,
and most closely the black-footed ferret, doesn' make a domestic creature a
wild exotic animal.  Think about this.  Say 3,000 ferrets were to be let
loose in Ca Ca land.  All would die because domestic ferrets do not survive
in the wild.  I doubt even 3,000 fuzzies could cause environmental harm so
severe than a law needed to be passed to ban them.  I wonder in F&G knows
that the domestic ferret did not really exist back when they made their
silly laws.  What also ticks me off is who ever was responsible for writing
the laws and goals fro the F&G in the first place.  In my curiousness, I
called up the fish and game department in Ca Ca land and got about 10
minutes to talk to one of their more reputable represenatives (technically
they are all disreputable, just to certain degrees of reputability).

Anyways, this guy who's name I will not disclose told me that the law when
it was written was made to ban in general all exotic animals that were not
native to the state of California.  I asked him why a domestic pet such as
the ferret would be banned, mainly because ferrets cannot survive in the
wild, and he told me that because the ferret is related to the black-footed
ferret, it is considered a exotic wild animal.  He also went on to be so
ignorant as to say that pet ferrets can survive in the wild and that ferret
owners are keepers of exotic wild animals that are an immenant threat to the
surounding community and environment.  He also said that that the leagal
reason ferrets are banned is because of their nomenclatural ties to the
weasel family.  He said that wild exotic animals with these associations are
wild and exotic regardless of how many people believe that they are
domestic.  He then went on to tell me about how uniformed I was about how
vicious really were.  He told me about all those baby attacks and small
children attacks with ferrets, and how unpredictable their "tempers" are.  I
almost died with all of the above, but I only corrected him on his last
staement to me.  I told him that any animal that is abused will become mean
and that ferrets do not have "mean streaks".  As far as the kid attacks, I
questioned him on how those ferret s were treated.  He skirted my question
and answered with the generalization that ferrets are "VICIOUS WILD EXOTIC
ANIMALS THAT ARE A THREAT TO THE WELL BEING OF ENVIRONMENTAL AND HUMAN
SOCIETY AND SHOULD REMAIN BANNED AS LONG AS THEY CONTINUE TO BE THAT WAY,
WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN ANYTIME IN THE NEAR FUTURE BECAUSE OF HOW LONG
EVOLUTION TAKES."  This guy scares me.  It seems that the Ca Ca land Fish
and Gestapo dunderheads are treating the ferret as we treted the blacks in
the 60's.  I also asked Mr. Moron when I was on the phone about the
hedgehog.  I asked him whether he thought that they were also wild and
exotic because they were related to the porcupine.  He said they were
domestic pets because they could never ever be able to live in the wild.  I
told him that his position on exotics was shaky, because he asserts that
while the ferret is wild and exotic, the hedgehog is not , even though they
are both related to wild counterparts and ancestry.  It seems that the F&G
is being very unfair here.  The facts show that domestic ferrets will not
survive in the wild, mainly because of their inability to digest a wild
bariety of foods, a trait which is essential in an animal is to live on
whtever food is available at the time.  I urge all who are genuinly
concerned about this fight this law to the bitter end.  I live in Stevens
Point, WI and am concerned out of curiosity and a love for ferrets and the
people that own them.  I do not know of any other states that ban pets
except for the Bull Terrier.  I feel for ferret lovers in California who
cannot have them due to the silly F&G laws.  Banning pets sounds ludicrous
overall.  Good luck to all in the fight for ferret legalization in California
to bring down the FFZ Wall of Oppression against innocent animals.

Sincerly and dooks, Max Holmquist and the hopeless mustelids (In loving
memory on Uwe).

Louie:  "Hey Dewey, I heard California is cool stae to live in"

Dewey: "Are you a raisin brain or what!  We are illegal over there"

Louie: "Really, damn those fish and gestapo people!!!"

Dewey: "I'm biting my owners toes until we get that new fish and gestapo
agent toy"

Louie; "OOOOO-dook, dook, dook, (does the weasel wardance)  "I want bite
his toes and nose to oblivion"

D&L: D00000000000000000000000000000000000K!!!!  "A new toy!!!!"

Note:  Dewey and Louie are two ferrets from my aunt in Californis who
was forced to give them up due to the silly laws.