From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1992 23:02:38 -0400
Subject:  Ferret List Issue 332

> [Which is what everybody should keep in mind.  Rec.pets and Rachel
> Dafni Christi (aka Roger David Carrasso) come to mind - one of the
> benefits of moderation.  Nancy?  I cringed when I saw you fall
> for rdc's baiting.  But it was too late for me to warn you...]

Who me?  I very rarely reply to these inane messages.  When I
do it's a well though out, intelligent reply, not the emotional
response they are attempting to get.  I've been around Usenet
long enough to fully realize their intentions.  Yes, I was the first
to reply to the "ferret recipes", but I was in no means the last.
I only replied to that message to show my indignation that such a thing
would be attempted on the mailing list, not an emotional response to
the actual posting.

[On the net about two months ago.  Not here.]

(the rest of my submission is all policy issues -- if you aren't
interested, skip to the end of my message)

Now, my 2 cents on this whole moderation issue.  I like having a
moderator, and I have no problem with the []'s.

Chris, I do agree with the "logic" argument somewhat, though.  I would
prefer if you would not interrupt paragraphs, such as you did in Chip's
message in #334.  Your comment would be just as understandable if
you waited until the end of the paragraph, and it does interrupt the
chain of thought.

Don't take any of this too personally, Chris.  The *VAST* majority of us
think you are doing a fabulous job.  So this should be taken as nothing
more than a bit of constructive criticism.  In all the time I've been
a member of the list, I only remember one time where I was upset with
you as a moderator.  And I have a feeling that that could be chalked up
as merely a misunderstanding.  That's a darn good statistic as far as I'm
concerned.

[You were mad at me?  What for?]

Now, my 2 cents on putting the list on autopilot:  I have mixed feelings
on this one.  On one hand, it was really nice having the mailing list
sent out every night.  On the other hand, we're still paying for the
stupid "ferret recipes" post.  He stirred up quite a hornet's nest, starting
out with the initial responses, and now major controversy regarding
the running of the list.  I'm willing to leave that decision up to you,
if you have time to moderate the list I really like having you around.
But if you don't have the time, I would rather have an unmoderated list
than go to rec.pets.ferrets since that would mean losing the members from
CompuServe, the "listeners" from GEnie, and all Internet people with stupid
sysadmins.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree