From:
Kelly Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:35:32 -0700
>has our loverly little ferret ripped into the flesh of infants ?  How many
>times ? ... It really doesn't matter, does it?  Isn't once enough?  ...
>Many more dogs and cats slash and rip infants than do ferrets, that is
>most certainly true.

All of this could be prevented if pet owners acted responsibly and took the
proper precautions to prevent these types of incidents in the first place.

>And ask yourself, just who is going to do the educating?  You people on
>this mailing list.  HA!  The vast majority know "diddle-squat" when it
>comes to instructing others on the nature of ferret behavoir.

I think that this comment is a bit harsh.  I must say every ferret I have
ever owned is different and has a different temprement.  Everyone has an
opinion and differemt ways of caring for there animals.  I would personally
say that I think it is commen sense to keep any animal away from a child
aged infant to @ least age 10 w/out some sort of adult supervision.  I
would not let my ferret, cat,snake or dog anywhere near my baby or toddler
alone.  Never in a room where I am not.  I would never let my snake or
ferret be a complete free roamer as long as I had children.  This protects
my child and my animals.

>We need to educate the public so that the UNKNOWN is known, and there is
>less fear.

I agree completely.  My grandmother was scared to death of my rottweiler
and ferret until I educated her and showed her that a animal is only as
intelligent as its owner, and by this I mean animals act as they are taught
and treated.

In my opinion act responsibly and do not trust any animal they were once
wild and I believe that you can't take whats born into something out, not
completely anyways.

Kelly Ferretheads Mom
Pennsylvania