From:
mike j hamm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:36:40 -0800
>From:    CEM <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I heard somewhere recently that one can purchase hand bred ferrets that
>do not suffer from the usual ferret diseases.  I'm not sure if "hand
>bred" is the correct terminology...

I think that they may be talking about privately bred ferrets, rather
than ferrets being bred at the farms or mills (like Path Valley or
Marshalls).  Alot of private breeders have developed their lines to be
virtually disease free of insulinoma and adrenal among others, as well
as the longevity factor.  This comes from years of breeding and careful
selection of not breeding ferrets with a genetic predispositions to
these diseases or other defects.  The AFA has set up a Breeder's approved
list and you can contact them at 1-888-FERRET-1 or email them at
[log in to unmask] and they can give you some names of reputable and
responsible breeders in your area.

Hope this
helps,
Sara Hamilton