From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:19:54 -0600
Just catching up on some questions before the next feral post.

Q: I've been told by you have ferrets cannot go feral in one post, then they
are feral in another.  Are you always this inconsistent?

A: Well, I try but its hard; sometimes I accidently say the same things
twice.  Well, O try but its hard; sometimes I accidentally say the same
things twice.  OK?  OK.

Regarding the post on no feral ferrets in New Zealand.  The person who
reported to the FML member there were no feral ferrets is wrong.  There are
indeed feral ferrets on both the North and South islands.  I also recieved
e-mail stating I said there where no feral ferrets, which is also wrong.

That domesticated ferrets live in a feral state in New Zealand is well
documented.  The exact amount of hybridization is unclear; from
conversations I've had with various people, as well as a careful study of
the literature, I personally believe the original population of ferrets
hybridized with polecat releases, but since then, more ferrets have been
released.  I have it from three separate sources, two in print, that fitch
farms that went out of business just dumped their animals to fend on their
own.  Now, I don't have proof, but it doesn't matter because the feral
ferrets in New Zealand are an exceptional case rather than the norm,
regardless on the amount of hybridization.

Several other e-mails accussed me of harming the cause because I stated
ferrets were feral in some places.  I don't think so, because truth always
has a way of embarassing the liar.  Ask Constantine and Kaser.  If I denied
it, proof would only be shown that would not only make me a liar, but also
cast doubt on my other work as well.  Instead, the opposite is true.  For
example, you get a phone call saying your dog bit the neighbor.  So you go
next door, and sure enough, there are bite marks that match your dog.  If
you deny the dog bit your neighbor, you lose the chance to find out why.

The same is true with feral ferrets.  Yes, they *can* become feral.  That's
a given..  But *how*?  That's where the Ca Ca Fish and Gestapo screwed up;
they don't know how, it it's their job to find out.  You see, the question
isn't "can ferrets go feral?" Its "Can ferrets go feral in the USA or
California?" You look at where all the feral ferrets are, and you learn why
they are there and no where else.  Then you can predict ferality with some
measure of sucess.  In the dog story, you admitted the dog bit your
neighbor, and in finding out why, you discover the bite is on the butt, and
your neighor was climbing through your window.  These are special
circumstances that allow the bite, just as the conditions in New Zealand
have special circumstances which allow the ferret to become feral.  In
virtually every encounter, the dog did not bite.  In virtually every
instance, ferrets do not go feral.

BTW, Jim Young is a very nice guy and I trust his reports of feral ferrets
far more than most.  I believe he knows what he is doing, and he is doing it
well.  He is the example that proves a person could be wrong (Myself for
thinking he was someone else), make an ass out of themself (when I jumped
down the throat of the wrong person), and still something good comes out of
it (Jim's friendship.)  Honesty and integrity works, and it is the only way
to beat the Ca Ca fish and Gestapo.  Just tell the truth and their own
corruption will be made apparent.

Q: Why is my ferret is shedding all over the place?

A: The ferret is not shedding.  Those are killer worms from outer space and
they will bore into your skin, tunnel into your brain, and turn you into a
Ca Ca Fish and Gestapo agent.  Brillantly, they infected your ferret so the
worms can get to the owners.  Only cost $20 billion.

Its a normal occurance, and is related to photoperiodism and climates.
Don't worry about it.  Hairballs can be a problem during this time, so give
some petromalt or similar product.  Stroking or petting the ferret with a
one of those hair removal gloves is useful, but those rubberized gardening
gloves with the raised dots work about as well.  I like duct tape.

Just kidding.

Bob C and the Missouri 18. (missing Gus)