From:
ROCHELLE NEWMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1993 17:02:48 -0400
another problem with the new ferret -- This ferret has absolutely NO instincts
about where to go to the bathroom!  Many ferrets, it seems, pick one or two
places, and if you put a litter box there, training isn't *that* bad.  Most, it
seems, will at least go in the litter box if they are in a small cage, even if
they have to be trained to go back to said box once out of the cage.  No ferret
I have heard of before would intentionally choose to go to the bathroom by his
food or water...  Unfortunately, my new ferret:  1).  Seems to like to go to
the bathroom in a new place every time,  2).  even if placed in the cage is
likely to go anywhere BUT the litter box (as well as in a different place each
time), and 3).  Has no compunctions about avoiding food, water, or sleeping
areas -- he has gone right beside food and water bowls, directly underneath
water bottles, on the clothes I put in there for him to use as a blanket...
There's absolutely no starting place from which to being training!  I am at a
complete loss!  We've started bringing him and his cage into whatever room
we're working in, so we can watch him full time, but we still need to go to
sleep occaisonally, not to mention work!  Anyone have any ideas?