From:
Dodie Vecchione <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:02:47 -0700
Hi Cheryl,

Congratulations on your first baby-to-be!

It sounds like you're having a rough time.  Is it possible that the
furkids are acting up because of the fact that you're not giving them as
much attention since you're supposed to stay in bed?  Can you sit on the
floor with them and play with them for a little while each day?  You can
get a lot of mileage out of fishing pole type of toys, without having to
move much at all.  Are they bored?  Could some new toys help?  PVC pipe
or dryer hose are favorites.  Even an old pair of pants or jeans thrown
on the floor is fun for them.  Is there an extra bedroom that you can
make a ferret room/play room for them?

As far as your new home goes, I'm really happy for you.  It sounds nice.
The laundry room, though, is not a good choice for ferrets.  They can
pull the dryer hose off and escape to the outside.  The heat from the
dryer running would also make it very uncomfortable for them, not to
mention all the lint dust that is produced.  Ever look under your washer
and dryer?  It's not pretty!

Perhaps, it might be best to find some of them a new home?  I'm not
telling you that's what you should do.  You have to do what feels right
to you and what you think is right for your furkids.  You'll have a new
baby to deal with soon, but it won't be right for your six fur babies to
feel ignored and unloved.  If your husband loves the ferrets, too, then
you'll have to come up with a game plan, where he can let the gang out to
play and supervise them.  Ferrets are, afterall, like two-year olds.
They get into everything!  That's just the way it is.  You didn't say
exactly how they are misbehaving, but I would recommend putting things
like potted plants out of reach, putting carpet runner down where they
dig, litter boxes where they like to go and basically ferret-proofing the
areas you give them access to.

All ferret owners experience frustration from time to time.  You either
have to shrug it off, try to outwit them, and accept them for what they
are, or come to the conclusion that they may not be the best pet for you.

I wish you the very best in the birth of your new baby and in trying to
work through this difficulty with your ferrets.

Hugs,
Dodie