From:
"Deborah W. Kemmerer, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:40:14 -0500
were unique to ferrets.  I did say that all studies in dogs and cats show no
increased incidence of adrenal problems in dogs and cats who were neutered
early vs those who were not.  Adrenal disease does occur in dogs with about
the same frequency as people.  Slightly lower in cats.

The way the Objective is worded, it sound more as though you are assuming
already that there is a relationship between prepubescent neutering and
adrenal disease.  I would prefer to see it worded a bit more objectively so
as not to slant the study.

However, any such discussion is probably moot.  I've already thought of
several ideas for similar studies and the problem always comes down to one
thing: money.  Who's going to fund it?  I certainly can't afford to out of
my own pocket.  What you are suggesting will probably cost in the
neighborhood of $10,000-12,000, and that's pretty conservative.  You'd have
to get all the ferrets donated and probably the housing, too, in order to
come close to that estimate.  I do not have access to research funds.  Do
you?

I appreciate the reference on vasectomies. I've done a few dozen, but more
information never hurts.

Dr. K.