From:
anneinchicago <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 18:57:30 -0600

From:    Ulrike <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Big Sigh........Peanut and Richie to The Bridge

>>...Thanks to being dumped off after being with his people for his
>>entire life of 4 years, Richie just couldn't understand what he did
>>to deserve this, refused to accept it and opted to not go on.
>
>I'm not sure about ferrets feeling emotions, thinking and
>contemplating like people do, at least not to the extent you describe.
>I've had quite a few rescues come in, some came from bad homes, others
>from good homes. None became sick because they left their home.
>Ferrets are usually excited about new surroundings and people. I think
>he was very sick, maybe his owners knew and didn't want any vet bills
>and gave the ferrets up instead.

Dogs pine and since ferrets are supposed to be as smart as dogs...

Yes, they pine. Yes, they feel emotions.

I think what Kim is describing is extreme shelter stress. I had a
ferret once whose owner dumped her on me. Brought her over to my house
and just left her. I thought Sarah would die. I was her third home, her
brother had died and her previous care had been horrible. Sarah did not
move. You could put her into any position and she would stay that way.
The only way I could think of to save her was to put her in a Snuggli,
over my heart, and carry her everywhere. Fortunately, it worked.

Some ferrets, I'm sure, don't care. most of my rescues didn't. But
then there is the occasional ferret who does.

anne