From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 02:18:41 -0700
Lisette wrote:

>Mustang Charlie:I do not know why ferrets would be different from rats as
>far as pine shavings.  I can guess that because they are neutered way too
>early by Marshall Farms, it might affect their immune system and make them
>more susceptible than rats to chronic lung disease.  Or maybe it is in the
>genes or previous environment, and some ferrets are more resistent to
>cedar and pine bedding.[?]

No, I don't believe early neutering has anything to do with it.  BTW, ALL
the commercial breeders are guilty of early neutering..they have to in
order to ship the kits at the earliest possible age.  (By commercial, I
am referring to MF, Triple F, etc., not someone like Flemming Farms, Zen,
etc.)

Short term exposure to pine shavings is not an issue.  It is the long term
exposure that is dangerous.  Bill had it right about his comment on using
Aspen shavings..the best one can use if wood is a must, but...now price
comes into consideration and CareFresh, Yesterday's News, Crown Animal
Bedding, etc.  is a better buy.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!  I am referring to ***pine shavings***, not
cedar.  It is MOST important that you NEVER use cedar shavings or wood
products around live animals.  PERIOD!  Cedar is extremely hazardous to
the health of animals..specially young animals.  I have seen cedar do in
a clutch of young snakes in as little as 4 weeks!

I wish I could remember the chemical in the wood that is responsible for
the problems...Perhaps Bill (Zen) or Bob Church can offer up this info... I
believe it is very important!  (And I can't remember...sheesh...some pillar
of husbandry I am!)

BTW...Fire wood pellets are much safer to use as they are heated (dried)
and extruded and the harmful chemicals are generally heated out of the
product.  Still, to be on the safe side, try and find a wood pellet that
is made from hard woods as hard woods do not have the chemical present.

For Our Ferrets

MC, The Rude One
(With Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.  In spirit, Bubba and Billy-Bob)