From:
Laura Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 07:51:36 -0400
Thanks to everyone who responded on my tail question.  I had an objective
eye come and look at all the ferrets' tails in case I was hallucinating.  He
pointed out that the other 4 (his two plus my other two) all have that
little ring.  It's just easier to see it on Marshmallow because he doesn't
have the different colored hairs on the tail like the sables and mitt do.
At any rate, Marshie's shots are due next month so if it's still there I'll
have the vet take a look at it.

Someone asked about the show in Annapolis next month.  I know I'm
going-trying to decide if any of the carpet monkeys are going to come too.

Paw Paw, I saw Kindergarten Cop yesterday too.  I think for the most part it
was pretty positive about ferrets.  There were a couple things I didn't
like.  The class kept the ferret (did they ever give it a name?) in two
grocery handbaskets.  And at the end, when the ferret bites the bad guy in
the neck.  I thought that kind of reinforced the "ferrets as vampires"
theory.  Another good bite site would have been between the nostrils.  I
don't know if my Marshie's just weird or what but if you give him a chance,
he'll bite you right on the piece of skin between your nostrils (I have no
idea what it's called).  And if you don't know what that feels like, well,
you sure don't feel like firing a gun when there's a ferret hanging on to
your nose.  And remaining conscious isn't high on your list of things to do,
either.  Forgive me for over-analyzing this-I've been at home with a broken
leg and the lack of human interaction has made me a little off kilter.

I don't think ferrets will really ever be seen in a truly positive light in
mainstream society.  Which is sad because I've never met a species that
deserves as much good PR as ferrets do.  For example, Scott went over to the
house he had been renting a room in to get some of his stuff.  Well, he and
the house manager got into an argument (the house manager is a scumbag of
monumental proportions-before Scott moved out this month, he broke into his
room, took the ferrets cage out and left them on the porch with no water in
the middle of July in Northern VA, for probably the whole day.  The house
manager says it was so he could show the room to potential renters.) and the
house manager could only come up with one nasty thing to say about Scott's
performance as a renter: "Your rats stunk up the whole house." It makes me
so mad just to tell that story.  If any one animal deserves not to be talked
about in that way, it's ferrets.

Hey Paw Paw, I'm feeling pretty cranky myself.  Any room around that fire
for me?

Laura