From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 01:07:25 EDT
This is very hard to write with so many of you loosing ferrets lately.
It makes me so sad, but I read each one of the posts and feel bad along
with you.  From time to time we are asked if there is a way we can hasten
someone's passing.  The natural health practitioners, and shamin's I know
will tell you no, it is not karmically correct to interfere with nature.
But, there are some flower essences we can use to help the patient and
family adjust to the oncoming death.

For many, I know flower essence therapy sounds like woo-woo medicine and
we should bring out the medicine man and dance around a fire.  But it is
a true, solid, and very gentle gift to humanity.  It is often called
"soul" medicine, for it can gradually help the soul to adjust to many
different uncomfortable circumstances.  Many of the remedies I list here
will speak of "touching the soul" and it has been proven time and again
these remedies work on animals as well as humans.  I do not want to spark
a discussion on "Do animals have souls...", but aim merely to make
crossing the bridge as gentle as possible for both ferret and caregivers.

Death & Dying:

Angel's Trumpet - Helps a surrender to death.  (Used if there is a
hanging on, or difficulty in letting go).  It helps the soul prepare to
journey.

Black Cohosh - Given when there is a violent circumstance leading to
death.

Black-eyed Susan - Given when there is a denial of death (for both
patient and caregiver).  Developing the courage to look at the situation
clearly, and the insight to understand it.

Bleeding Heart - Letting go, releasing attachment to those who can no
longer be with us.  (I often place this plant by the person's bedside).

Borage - Overcoming grief or heavy-hearted feelings from the death or
impending death of a loved one.

Chrysanthemum - This is a powerful remedy for humans with a deep sense of
despair about one's own mortality.  (Used after a death; used a lot after
9/11).  It helps when one is unable to accept the transitory nature of
earthly life, and shifts awareness from lower Self to higher Self.

Five Flower Formula - For one in extreme pain or shock in situations of
death; helps the soul register consciousness.

Holly - Brings calm and acceptance to the heart, forgiving others, making
peace with worldly relationships before death.

Love-Lies Bleeding - For profound pain or suffering.

Mountain Pride - Enables one to fight negative thought forms about death.

Penstemon - Used when there is extreme physical hardship and suffering
associated with terminal patients; gives courage to accept this
suffering.

Pink Yarrow - Used if one is exposed to the fears of death by those
around them.  (Can help if one is always crying or upset around their
pet).

Purple Monkeyflower - Used when there is extreme fear of dying due to the
inability to trust oneself as a purely spiritual being.

Red Clover - Used when there are charged family situations at time of
death; helps group or family hysteria.  (Can be used on children when
loosing a pet)

St. Johns Wort - Used for fear of out-of-body states; anchoring inner
light and awareness as the soul begins it's journey.  (I put this one on
the lips of those who are dying).

Scarlet Monkeyflower - Anger about death.

Star of Bethlehem - (Mentioned here before) Used to soothe shock
resulting from hearing of a death, or hearing of an impending death.
Primary for states of grief right at the time of death and up to two
months after.

Walnut - Used for breaking links when one is holding on too tightly and
not allowing the release of the departing soul.  (Mainly used for
caregivers).

Willow - Releasing bitterness and resentment toward family, friends, and
others; taking responsibility for one's life; ability to forgive.
(Mainly used for humans).

Source:

Kaminski, Patricia and Richard Katz.  Flower Essence Repertory.  Calif:
Earth Spirit, Inc., 1994.

In reading this list 2 questions come to mind:

How can we tell our fuzzies are feeling this?  I usually tell by knowing
my little one, and working on "getting in tune" with her.  I am learning
when she is mad, sad, glad, etc.  I think it may be different for each of
us, but nobody denies that we have an extremely close link with our
fuzzies.

Why is there not a ferret-flower?

I hope the above list helps.

Warmly ~