Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:50:01 -0500
Risa, if you are going to allow someone else in your home while you are
gone, confine the ferrets to a cage. There are too many horror stories
of ferrets that were accidentally let out and never returned. I know
people who lost ferrets this way because they escaped outside.

My near miss occurred in NC following Hurricane Floyd in 1999. I was
working with the Red Cross and our neighborhood had intermittent power.
I came home to my rented condo late one night, had no power, took off
my shoes inside the front door and started up the stairs. Halfway up I
put my foot down on something soft. One of the ferrets was sleeping on
the stairs. I carried him up to the ferret room and found the door
open. My landlord had come by to "check" on things and had failed to
close the door properly. In the dark I am trying to find all my ferrets
in a two story condo with some unferret-proofed areas. AND, wondering
if anyone escaped unnoticed when I came in the front door. Luckily, no.

If the room to which they will be confined has a plexiglass barrier
so that nobody has to open a door or go in, that is one thing. But, I
lock mine in a cage if anone will be there and I am not home.

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the