From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:04:40 -0500
>Has anyone done a survey to see if there is any correlation between the
>incidence of disease and the diet being fed?

Have not run into any, though the folks at Miami Ferret are trying to look
at a range of possible contributing factor in surveys, and I seem to recall
diet being part of the survey.  There were three surveys done in the past
that I know were about adrenal disease rates (in general).  These can be
found by going back and using the FML search feature.  The in-shelter
survey found a higher rate of adrenal disease in Marshall Farms ferrets,
but when the survey type was repeated -- TWICE with different individuals
running it each time -- with ferrets in homes themselves NO difference was
found.  Nada.  Zip.  The non-MF had similar probabilities of getting the
disease as the MFs in those surveys, and that includes rescues of each.
No one doing any of the three had any profit connection or political
connection, and each group worked to be as responsible as possible given
the problems inherent in such surveys.  This MIGHT indicate that a survey
design problem which prevents knowing hard data, or a glitch with one or
more surveys, or simply indicators of which ferrets are more likely to be
turned over to shelters and when, or even a health difference which
exists between shelter conditions and home conditions -- perhaps due to
uncontrollable factors.  For the other diseases I haven't seen anything
making them more likely in MFs at all, except, of course, that ferrets
which are from places which de-scent as well as neuter might be more prone
to early (and sometimes persistent) rectal problems compared to ones which
are only neutered, and there are known mechanisms for that difference which
have been written about by many before so don't take my word for it, but go
back over the data available.

It worries me when people pass around things that don't have any firm
basis -- like when all sorts of disease are blamed on something for which
there is no backing.  It's fine to hypothesize and to wonder, but treating
that as fact is asking for trouble in at least two ways.

1. When people believe things which don't have any data backing the
beliefs then those beliefs might cause fewer MFs to be adopted from
shelters.  This prevents wonderful critters from finding loving homes,
and it unnecessarily burdens the shelter keepers.  This result is a cruel
one even though the intentions of people who were talking certainly weren't
cruel.  (Life has surprises and not all are pleasant.)

We have adopted MFs; in fact, right now ALL of our adopted ferrets (except
one who came here as a handicapped individual from another breeder) are
MFs.  The MFs are NOT having medical problems at any different rate or age
ranges in our home than ones from elsewhere have had or are having (not
true of the handicapped one from another source, but surprises are a
problem sometimes with handicapped ones, and they are still so loving that
they are worth it as long as a person is willing to set aside extra founds
for med care).

Yes, there CAN be genetic tendencies toward certain illnesses, but the
ones Steve and I have read of which have a well-suspected genetic component
were NOT in the list asked about a few days ago.  The only ones we've
had in about 18 years which had a problem thought to indicate genetic
predispositions were NOT MFs and the place which bred them since modified
their breeding stock.  Have also read of some strains with cataracts, and
one with aortic arch problems -- again neither was MF.  A genetic problem
CAN crop up anywhere, of course, but some of the rumors out there are only
that: rumors.  Don't let them hurt ferrets or shelters.  (That said, a
RESPONSIBLE small breeder has the line-tracing in place to sterilize a line
with problems faster than a large place or a disreputable place of any size
can.)

2. Another problem with such rumors is that some people are working behind
the scenes (not me anymore since I don't have the time) trying to get one
or more large breeders to clean up bad aspects or find more loving
solutions.  They keep hearing what I used to hear: if people are going to
believe lies then what difference would it create to make such efforts?
That's an excellent point; it's heart-wrenching to hear at times but it is
excellent, and if you want to change someone's approach then you must
listen to such comments and understand them.

There certainly ARE things which need improvement at MF; that's also true
for the other large breeders about whom I've been told details through the
years.  If you got a complaint letter about a business you were running and
a large portion of what was said wasn't true would that letter be effective
in getting you to change practises?  If that letter, on the other hand,
concentrated on what is known and maybe even offered some helpful
suggestions then perhaps you might make a difference -- and while you are
at it don't forget to contact the other large breeders about improving,
too.

One way to tackle all might be to have a "WISH LIST" of things you would
want in any breeder.  In fact, maybe it would be good if people here
printed addresses for ALL Of the large breeders (contributing whichever
ones they have (I know I have two of them for certain but not handy while
we have the contents of a collapsed closet in front of that bookcase) like
Marshall, Path Valley, Triple F, Hagan, etc., and your ideas for a large
breeder standards wish list.  Then you can pick the ones from others, too,
with which you agree and write each of the large breeders with the same
letter.  So, what would be on YOUR wish list?

Started out with one person's comments and drifted into those of others...

Anyway, I would STILL like to see a good study which actually looks at
differences between early vs.  late neuters vs.  whole in adrenal disease.
I think that would help either get later neuters or remove one
consideration from future studies.  Personally, I suspect (only suspect)
that neutering might play factor in adrenal incidences in conjunction with
other factors -- but I don't know if there will be any difference found
between early ones and six month ones.  It would be great if such a
difference were found, but even if it's not perhaps if there is a
difference between whole ones and ones which were neutered then maybe a
hormonal supplementation aspect could be discovered and used.

Sukie (whose father-in-law has agreed to start exercising again as the
physicians want but not yet to have dietary lessons ( major WHEW!!!!!!
even though we hope for more), and who heard today that the catalog which
owed money for 6 months+ on cosmetics gifts never sent now says it will
send out a check over-night delivery -- I want to thank all who sympathized
over the worry and frustration for kind wishes which apparently worked so
keep up the good wishing)