From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:32:30 -0400
What seems to be fueling the raw vs. kibble debate this time appears to
be whether or not ferret owners should be concerned about bacteria like
E. coli or salmonella that may be present in raw foods. Not only can
bacteria pose a threat, but foods can contain parasites as well.

IMHO, the answer is yes, but within reason. I do not think it should
scare people away from feeding a raw diet, but I do think people who
undertake feeding raw foods should be aware of the risks and take
necessary precautions. I also think when there is a recall of meats,
it is good to make the information public, so that people who feed raw
can avoid the contaminated products.

I am not saying that the same doesn't also apply to commercial diets. I
am certain we all remember the melamine problem in dog and cat foods.
There have also been instances where kibbles have been recalled do
to salmonella. The risk is not limited to one type of diet. And,
fortunately, when problems have occurred in commercially prepared diets
that people might be feeding to ferrets, the problems have also been
shared on this list.

Whatever method you use for feeding your ferret, you should choose to
get your food from a reputable supplier. There are several good whole
prey suppliers that I am aware of. These people are careful about
insuring that the animals they raise are fed a healthy diet, receive
veterinary are if needed, are handled and euthanized in a humane and
safe manner, and ultimately are quickly packed and frozen to limit the
possibility of exposure to bad bacteria.

Now, there is a claim that salmonella is not a problem for ferrets. The
argument is that, because food travels through the ferret's digestive
tract so quickly, there is not time for the bacteria to become
established and be harmful. I don't know if this is true or not, but
whether or not it is, there is still reason to be aware of the dangers
of salmonella. Even if the salmonella does not harm the ferret, it can
be passed through in the feces and infect humans and other companion
animals in the home. Therefore, when feeding a raw diet, it is
important to wash areas where fecal matter has been left carefully and
also wash your hands carefully after removing the matter.

Again, I do not see this as a reason not to feed raw.  Common sense and
simple sanitary precautions can greatly lessen the chance of problems
happening.  But, it is important to be aware of possible problems, so
precautions can be taken.

There is a big difference between being aware and being afraid. I have
encountered some people who favor a natural diet that do not like
others bringing up things that we all should be aware of, because they
think if people are made aware, they will be afraid. I tend to think
most of us realize the difference between awareness and fear, and can
react accordingly to advice about concerns and things that should be
avoided.

I tend to avoid feeding raw meat from the grocery store to my ferrets.
First, because they will not eat the bones, but almost as importantly,
because I have twice in the last 20 some years gotten salmonella from
under cooked meat from the grocery store. As a result, I have little
faith in the meats from the grocery stores in my area.

I like my meats cooked lightly. For me, a steak that is just pink in
the middle is over cooked. I like my chicken juicy (but not greasy) and
I love sushi. As a result, I have twice paid the price. I also tended,
when I was younger, to think I was indestructible, and so I have done
other foolish things like drink bad water, leading to giardia.

Now, it is true that salmonella and giardia may not be fatal to a
ferret that is otherwise healthy. This is also true in humans. But, it
is a very uncomfortable experience, and one I would strongly suggest
avoiding if possible. For a ferret, it is probably much worse, because
they can become dehydrated so much faster then a human.

There is another good reason to avoid bacterial and parasitic
infections, too. Even if they are not fatal, they can have lasting
effects. Some strains of E. coli can permanently damage the kidneys.
Likewise, many parasitic and bacterial infections can damage the
intestinal tract. I had 2 ferrets develop IBD after having coccidia.
For myself, I am now having some GI problems that may well be at least
in part due to my lack of taking sensible precautions for myself in
the past.

So, I for one appreciate when people on this list post about food
recalls do to bacteria or parasites. It helps me avoid problems.

Danee DeVore
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
http://www.ferretadv.com
ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/