From:
"SYBIL E. BARMISH" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:47:49 -0500
Any Ideas about Nala??

Recently my boyfriend bought a 3 month old (Marshall) ferret whom he
named Nala.  Last night he got home from work to her laying fairly still,
not wanting to play or to be held.  After taking her out and seeing how
lathargic she was he was concerned.  He called our vet and they said she
may just have a simple bug (because she wasn't vomiting and she wasn't
severly sick).  Needless to say at about 10p Nala was weeping in her
cage.  As he realized the severity of the situation he brought her to the
animal hospital.  By the time he got there it was too late.  She had
blood coming out of her nose and mouth, and died shortly after arriving.

No one can figure out what happened to Nala.  To be honest it was such a
busy weekend he hardly had her out of her cage, and his room (where she
plays) is totally "ferret proof." The only thing we could think of was
her doctor's apt on Saturday (two days earlier) where she had been given
a distemper shot.  But after speaking with the doctor, she said it is
unlikely that it was a reaction because it would have happened right
away.

If anyone has any ideas of what may have happpened or if you have heard
of anything like this please e-mail me.  We are heartbroken, and he is
hesitant now to get another one.

Thanks.
~Sybil (and Dave)