Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1993 17:36:02 -0400
> I realize that cow's milk, or at least the stuff we buy
> in the grocery store, is bad for ferrets.  And goats milk
> is okay.  Is it the lactic acid or what?  Anyways, what
> about humans milk?
>
> Just curious.
>
> Chris.

I had no idea that cow's milk was bad for ferrets.  What problems does it
cause?  My carpet sharks (I love that!) munch on my cereal with me in the
mornings when they are acting especially adorable.  They just love Chex cereals.

> RE diet:  Purina Mini Friends Ferret Chow has also been known to
> cause prolapsed rectums in kits.  It contains a lot of corn, which

What about for adult ferrets?  Should I be feeding them something different?
Why does Purina make a food that is harmful for the little guys?

Amy (Tabitha and Bear's mommy)

[I'd be interested in correlating the prolapsed rectums with the age at
which these kits were spayed, and whether they were descented.  Some
suppliers/pet stores spay and descent their ferrets at an absurdly
early age, and descenting (particularly on the very young kit) is quite
delicate w.r.t. weakening the rectal muscles.]