From:
Elwin Bullard II <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 16:35:58 GMT
I just happened to catch an episode today (aired 11am Cental May 5) that
featured a gorgeous Black Roam Mitt male named Dakota.

Over all I give Dr. Bearney an B-.

He did recommend all the correct things, large enough cage, fresh water
daily, litter box, vaccinations-both, toys, daily grooming/bonding.

Dr. Bearney included dog food as an alternative in the list of do's and
don't's.  And recommended a daily vitamin supplement.  He did give cat food
a little more emphasis by recommending a protein content in the 30%'s.

He recommends neutering at 6-8 months of age

When he was talking about vaccinations he also recommended de-worming
ferrets?  Never heard of that myself unless you have systems to base testing
on but I'm not a breeder.

I did feel that he left the impression that litter training a ferret is as
easy as litter training a cat.

At the beginning of the show he was actually holding Dakota for an opening
"Hi.  here's one of today's guests" kinda things.

Unfortunately it was a short, quick, infoseg more than anything else.  He
closed it by putting his had in the cage with Dakota and kinda petted him.

I personally wish he had chosen to do a feature on ferrets but it was
goodish PR.  I'm gonna send him a thank you note with a pic of my girls and
politely correct him on a couple of things and hope he actually corrects
himself on air.  He seems like a pretty good egg.