From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:36:20 -0500
Dear FML-

Yesterday a lovely "Native American" poem about acceptance was posted on
the FML .  Well, I'm NOT NOT NOT trying to make the poster feel bad,
here.  She was enchanted by it's beautiful message at an Indian Pow-Wow,
and reasonably assumed that it was a native American work.  Wouldn't you?

The first line is not properly "Acceptance is the answer to all of my
problems today.  It is "Acceptance is the *key* to all of my problems
today."  It is found on page 449 (at least it was in the second and third
editions) of what is called the "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonymous.  It
is such a famous quote in A.A. that w e refer to it simply as "page
449", rather than say all of the words.  The rest of it, paraphrased,
comes from the same chapter in the Big Book, called, I believe,
"Physician heal Thyself."

"Acceptance is the key to all of my problems today" and "Living life on
life's terms" are even found paraphrased on bumper stickers as "Page 449"
and "Life on Life's Terms."

Regardless of where it came from, it is a powerful message of healing,
and the benefits that we will reap (and by association, that those
around us will reap as well) if we practice acceptance and personal
responsibility for our own actions.

But it is not a traditional American Indian message.  I think, rather,
it is the message of one particular American Indian whose life was
transformed by the wisdom found in the Big Book.

[SE]

[Moderator's note: Also, speaking of Alcoholics Anonymous... I believe
that although AA caters to all religions, their "12 steps" mentions God
several times.  For example, step 3 is: "[We] Made a decision to turn
our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him."

My point is that these Sandee posts should be taken in the same manner.
HOW you understand God is your own business.  You are free to interpret
Sandee's posts in whatever manner you wish.  Most people don't fault AA
for mentioning God since AA isn't forcing a religion but rather having
you recognize your own interpretation of a higher power.  (Yes, I know
it's a topic of debate among people in the organization, or an excuse
for some others to not join AA, but that's sort of my point -- is Sandee
just an an excuse for some to argue?  And Sandee doesn't even claim to
be a higher power.  BIG]