From:
"JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:36:17 -0400
I have a question for the vets on the list.  Virtually all of the discussion
about the treatment of insulinoma focuses on corticosteroid treatment.  Have
any of the vets on the FML tried or heard of using streptozocin?  (The brand
name is Zanosar by Upjohn, although it may go by a different trade name if
it's used for veterinary practice.) As I understand it, streptozocin
preferentially kills off islet cells, which secrete insulin.  Could this be
used as Lysodren is used in treating adrenal tumors?  Streptozocin is pretty
toxic to the kidneys, so it's not a wonder drug, but I haven't heard any
mention of this among many discussions of insulinoma in ferrets.

--Jeff Johnston