From:
M Dorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:52:56 -0500
This is my first time posting.  I have been reading the FML for about a
month now and I have really enjoyed the articles.

In brief my family consists of 5 members: My husband and I, my 8 year old
son & 2 adorable fuzzbutts Qpid (1 yr old sable) & Valentine (5 month old
sable).My son refers to our ferrets as his "sisters." We love them as a part
of our family not just pets.  My problem at this time is Valentine has been
sick.She has not been eating for the past few days &when she does use the
litter box it is a very small amount of green jelly-like stool.  She has
vomited a couple of times but most of all she just lays there.  She has been
very clingy & sleeps all day.  The vet says she has "viral enteritis" which
she says she has been seeing alot of recently.  A big concern of hers is
that Valentine is very depressed.  I am a psychiatric nurse & I am wondering
is this the same kind of depression that humans experience?  I know this ia
a silly question but I was shocked by the diagnosis.  I have never thought
about animals being depressed.  If anyone knows about the subject matter
please feel free to e-mail me.  Also does anyone have any suggestion as to
what I can do to help her during this time other than the perscriptive
measures ( amoxicillin, carafate &nutrical)Seeing her depressed is really
making me depressed.  One last thing, we live in NC in the Raleigh area.  If
anyone knows of a vet in the area that Knows more than just a little bit
about ferrets,please e-mail me.  We have been taking them to the after hours
clinic as our vet doesn't know a great deal about them.  It's really costing
us a fortune & after hours doesn't run a day clinic.  Thanks in advance for
everyones help & the laughs our family gets when we read the FML stories.

Mike,Melony, Josh, Qpid & Valentine Dorman

Qpid: Come on Valentine.  Get up!  Mom left the bathroom door open again.
      You know how we love those Q-Tips.
Valentine: Leave me alone.
Qpid: You really need some Prozac.