From:
Kim Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 07:16:56 EST
People all over are requesting info on how I fert proof the gate.  I use a
3 foot baby gate with a wooden frame.  I fit it to the doorway or opening
I want it to block off.  attach the next piece on the side WITHOUT the
latch or you will ruin your plans <G>  THen lay it down and cut a piece of
plastic carpet runner (the clear stuff with the sharp points on one side)
and I cut it just a little wider than the wood frame (it will leave small
gaps if you don't!) and then using a small drill bit, drill holes around
the sides and bottom of the frame through the plastic.  (lay the points to
the inside please :o)  Attach it to the gate with small screws, be careful
not to split the wood, that's why you use really small screws and pre
drill your holes.use 3 inch intervals between holes/screws.  Then you will
not have to worry about your fuzzies getting loose.  Works for us, not
even my Fidget is able to escape this one, much to his frustration.  I
have a photo of him staring at it after he discovered he couldn't escape
it.  You can feel the frustration :o)  If you'd like to see it let me know.
I'll try to put it on his page at www.mystyxcritters.com/fidget later
today

So now you all know my "secret."  It's cheap, effective, and doesn't look
to crappy.  Just make sure you have fit the gate to the doorway tightly,
if the can get a claw under it, they can work it loose and pull it up.
Make a mark on the gate under the notch that is the tightest fit, so you
don't have to use trial and error.

Kim Wolf
Mystyx Samoyeds, Ferrets and Rescue
of Galloway, Ohio